XYZZY Category Revisit

I’m probably just being daft, but wouldn’t it be easier to explain a category which is both for puzzles generally and for individual puzzles than a category which is for individual puzzles and things which are moments or scenes of interactivity which may or may not be puzzles?

The fact that 95% of this thread has been about BIP suggests to me that there is interest in it, or in something close to it, at least in the abstract.

I’m planning some text-based supplemental materials in my next game (may not pan out… we’ll see), but I’d be disappointed if something like what I’m planning was excluded from Supplemental Materials just because it wasn’t audio / visual.

‘Multimedia’, in this context, would be ‘media that is not IF’. Static text outside the game proper straightforwardly fits that description.

I think that would need to be made clear; with the name “multimedia” I’d have voted for in-game graphics and sound before I voted for text supplements.

1 Like

“Best Supplemental Materials or Multimedia”

“What interactive fiction includes the most creative or enjoyable use of additional media (text separate from the game file, sound, graphics, or physical media), which are separate from the game file, but supplement play with additional information, ambience, or understanding of the story during or outside of play?”

This would encompass the flashy elements of 18 CADENCE and FIRST DRAFT OF THE REVOLUTION, as well as SORCERY, text histories and pamphlets, game logos, as well as the rare physical feelie.

1 Like