Word choice: plug/unplug appliances in UK, Australia, etc?

Yeah, we still call them kettles; despite the jug shape; although they are often sold as “jug kettles”.

I’d call it a power socket, usually using both words. As a UK person albeit Scottish.

Good lord. What the heck is a “pom”? Why can’t you speak English like the rest of us?

2 Likes

So, we need to PLUG POWER PLUG IN POWER SOCKET. This sounds like a variation of PLANT POT PLANT IN PLANT POT. :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah, of course. I forgot that. I don’t think that’s regional, though.

TIL from Things that Happened in Houghtonbridge: Outside of the US, a “pot plant” is not marijuana.

2 Likes

Yes, or just “outlet” or maybe “power outlet.”

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen an electric kettle. Mostly I see coffee makers. And the stovetop type of kettle.

A couple of testers did flag that up and I considered changing it to the clunky-sounding ‘pot with a plant in it’ (as a British character wouldn’t think of it as a ‘potted plant’!) but eventually decided to leave it. One of those bits of scenery that I might avoid in future games!

I didn’t even notice at first until Garry’s comment. I just thought it was a charming Britishism, like “in hospital”.

I’m not sure that’s completely true, but that probably just says something about the amount of regional variation we have with language in the UK. :slight_smile: You’ll find plenty of British uses of “potted plant” for a pot plant… or rather a plant potted in a pot. Usually a plant suitable for pots.

The aforementioned PLANT POT PLANT IN PLANT POT has historical significance in the UK text adventure scene anyway.

3 Likes

I most definitely never came across ‘potted plant’ until reading it in US English! Maybe I just don’t do enough gardening :smile:

You’d be surprised how many places around here have rules against using electric kettles! Apparently they’re considered a fire risk.

>INPLUG CORD

The “pot plant” was actually also a pot plant. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can plug a leak, so (in principle) you could plug a kettle, but plugging a leak from a kettle sounds rather dangerous!
Prepositions will get you every time :slight_smile:
In the UK we go out of the door, but, I must admit, I sometimes say “out the door”… probably because Infocom manuals say “even when our product is out the door…”! :musical_note: For the times, they are a-changing :notes: People here (including my girlfriend [sigh]) have started saying “I’m going to lay down”. Whatever next?!