Will Glulxe/Blorb Games ever run on ipad/kindle/nook/mobiles

Right now my understanding is that only z-code games will run on the
ipad and mobiles.

Wondering if Andrew is going to give all mobiles, ipads, etc the ability to run
glulx and g/zblorb files.

I’m under the impression that Frotz for the iPhone will do Glulxe and Blorb.

Correct.

When I get my IF released on iOS, I’ll have my interpreter code posted as well.

To be clear, Frotz for iPad and iPhone runs Glulx games since version 1.5 about a year ago. The initial support was somewhat alpha but Craig Smith has done a great job improving things and fixing bugs reported etc.

Separately, Jimmy Maher has figured out a way to get his game “King of Shreds & Patches” running on Kindle. Not sure if that will be a generalized Kindle Glulx interpreter, but that would be awesome.
–Zack
z-machine-matter.com

Number on one my wish-list: The ability to position the text window independently of the graphic elements in a native interpreter, so that I could create a Parchment-style arrangement (text on the inside, graphics on the outside) without resorting to a (slow) Javascript interpreter, or having to start online. The graphics would need to be scrollable independently from the text window, just like in a web page with Parchment. The main problem I have with using the blorb file format is the forced hegemony of the text window. (At least, I think it’s forced. I haven’t seen any examples that show otherwise.)

Paul.

[quote=“ZUrlocker”]
To be clear, Frotz for iPad and iPhone runs Glulx games since version 1.5 about a year ago. The initial support was somewhat alpha but Craig Smith has done a great job improving things and fixing bugs reported etc.

Separately, Jimmy Maher has figured out a way to get his game “King of Shreds & Patches” running on Kindle. Not sure if that will be a generalized Kindle Glulx interpreter, but that would be awesome.

I have a glulxe game being turned into a contest game. I’m putting up a website and want the
players with ipads, mobiles, (and possibly nook/kindle) to be able to download the freeware game
and if they like it they can enter the contest game (for a small fee of course). The contest game is not
necessary to enter

Are there any interpreters for Android?

Not that I know of.

Once I get DOS Frotz and Unix Frotz back up to speed and doing Blorb, I’ll be looking at Android.

Oh excellent. I have a couple of playtesters who kept complaining about not being able to play it on their phones. rolls eyes

Oh yes please :slight_smile:

Looking at the trend of how things are going, it is not looking quite possible to run them on some of the more inclined ebook readers but pretty much well portable to general tablets like the iPad and its android counterparts. Though things could very well change in the future with the start of giving the kindle its colored display and some support to smart tablet like usage.

I’ve just received a Kindle Touch (birthdays yay!) and am very happy to say that both Parchment and Quixe run well in its web browser. There are some improvements to be made (I’m not sure if key input works), but I expect that we’ll be able to get them working perfectly without too much effort.

The Kindle Touch also supports localStorage and the offline application cache! (I have tried the Kindle 3 (Keyboard) before which doesn’t.) I am still working on adding localStorage support to Parchment, and when I do it will work on the Kindle as well.

It also supports websql, which although it isn’t a current standard anymore might be good to use as well…

Dannii,

Did you need to do anything special to get Parchment to run, or was it as simple as visiting an existing PArchment link?

How dies it handle saved games? Just type Save then bookmark as usual? I take it you need to be online for this to all work.

R

Just visit Parchment in the browser. I don’t think I tested saving, but the regular URL saving should work. Not that the URL saving is ideal.