Will a new IF company work now?

I’m curious. How many of you think an IF company can work right now? I’m not beginning one or anything, but it’s good to know.
Voting in the poll is good, listing the reasons is better! :smiley:

What do you mean by ‘company’? For that matter, what do you mean by IF? :slight_smile:

There are a few IF companies around I think, at least one or two. Like TextrFyre. And is one person selling IF a ‘company’?

Also, what do you mean by ‘work’?

In any case, we are past the era when ‘Will a company work’ is even a question one should ask until the day one already has a built-in fanbase as an artist. This is the way independent media works now. Nearly every fresh, hungry newcomer you will compete with in every medium (and you are competing with every medium) will henceforth be somebody giving away great, passionately made work for free. If you spend a lot of your focus and energy on arranging totally speculative business details at that early stage when your peers and competitors are focused completely on creating the works themselves and getting the maximum number of people interested, then their works will end up not only cheaper than yours but better, too. People who think of business first are rarely capable of producing great works of art, because their prematurely mercenary goals require them to always be laser-focused on precisely the wrong priorities for an artist. But that is just my opinion.

A fully staffed independent company, such as what Infocom once was, would not be able to compete in today’s market. If you wanted to successfully market IF, I would try to attach myself to a company with a distribution platform, such as Valve’s Steam.

I would agree with this statement. I still believe IF is a viable product, it’s just that it takes a lot of money to produce anything worthwhile and to market it properly. I don’t know of any investor or publisher willing to do either. This is why I have pointed my efforts at classroom material. It’s the one place where if we do it well enough, we can create a captive and sustainable audience.

If we’re successful, then a new Infocom might actually work.

David C.
www.textfyre.com

Yes, he calls himself Malinche Entertainment.

A dubious claim, but a company is a company. If someone incorporates and sells pocket lint, they are still a company. I’d love to call Textfyre a company, but it’s really just a start-up shell and a consulting entity.

David C.
www.textfyre.com

Per Webster: any “business enterprise” is a company. :slight_smile:

I’m a Limited Liability Corporation, which is not exactly what people usually mean by “company”. (They’re usually thinking of a C-corporation or S-corporation, in the US.)

I guess in that sense, Textfyre is an S-Corp and still sells copies of Secret Letter and Shadow (not many, but they trickle in every few months). I have an iOS version of Shadow nearly done using iosglulx and a Windows 8 Store version nearing completion.

I dread ever doing anything with Secret Letter since the I7 code makes even the hardiest I7 programmer run screaming.

David C.
www.textfyre.com

Isn’t it true that if governments hadn’t come along and passed a bunch of laws primarily for the purpose of taxation, no one would ever think of a ‘company’ as consisting of one individual, because that’s just not the way it had ever been used before in the English language? The dictionary is pretty fixated on the concept of multiple people being involved. Language is a living, breathing, entity, of course, but I’m not a big fan of adapting formerly ordinary words to comport with legal or financial ideologies. So although I asked the question, ‘Is one person a company?’ on reflection I would have to say, not. Business, yes. Enterprise, yes. Company, no.

Dictionaries don’t give you meanings. They tell you word usage. Lots of ppl on this site seem to think they know what everyone in the world thinks. I was just giving the dictionary definition.

A few ppl on this site seem to jump to a lot of unnecessary conclusions as to people’s motives for posting, who specifically they are addressing, and how authoritatively they intend their opinions to be taken.

Since I voted yes and our side is losing :wink:, on behalf of ‘pro’ I would like to offer exhibit A: Failbetter Games. An IF company (of more than one person) which is working.

I don’t know if I can think of story nexus as IF. It’s interactive yes, but calling it fiction is a stretch.

The one thing we’ve never done around here is used “IF” to refer to all forms of fiction that are interactive. (Or all forms of interactivity that have fiction in them.)

What, never?

I find it less of a stretch than calling Zork ‘fiction’ but YMMV.