Why won't anyone test my adventure?

I had your post asking for beta-testers bookmarked, in the event that I come up with enough free time to help out. In the past, it’s been hard enough to find the time that half-tested games I was poking and prodding at a glacial pace kept getting released out from under me, and I figured that it would engender less animosity if I waited until I knew I could help rather than hoping for the best and then disappointing. Turns out – maybe not!

Shade, man! No apartment can get messier than that!

Ah, yes, but the true heart of the My Shitty Apartment game, the thing that truly defines My Shitty Apartment, is the shitty apartment as very thin synecdoche for My Shitty Life. Any game whose central message is not essentially FML is no true Shitty Apartment Game.

:laughing:

I bet every mad genius has lived in a messy apartment, at some time or another – and probably still does. The my messy apartment genre is still unexplored. Maybe all of the messy apartments of every mad genius could somehow be connected, by a quantum anomaly, and they could all talk to each other, and riff off of each other’s ideas, when people think they are talking to themselves – another mark of genius. Shade meets Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.

I won’t charge anyone for that idea. That one’s free.

Craftian, if you ever do play through Bioshock Infinite, you’re gonna love the ending. 'Nuff said. :wink:

Peter – I actually have it in my queue on Steam. It’s on sale right now for $8. :smiley:

interactive fiction is still a way off from ebooks, these usually formatted in ePub, which is an html variant. That means: flexible, flowing layout with adjustable fonts. Most IF still is made for 80 columns of monotype font and ugly, unprofessional left justification, even I7.

I thought gargoyle and parchment would help with that, but their default settings are still kinda lame (and good luck finding a gargoyle example configuration file). I can’t quite play parchment from the smartphone because layout is absolute, not relative: can only play in landscape mode, with the keyboard eventually hiding all. Again, no proper text justification.

At least Adrift games up to 4 are playable on gargoyle, right?

If web browsers supported automatic hypenation then I’d look into making it full justified, but they don’t yet (at least not consistently.) If you haven’t noticed, that’s how almost all websites are formatted!

As to the layout problems, what OS/browser etc? It works okay on my phone but I can’t test with every phone in existence. If you make an issue on Github with screenshots I might be able to do something to improve it.

And I’m not sure why you’d need an example gargoyle config file when it comes with one?

I was under the impression that Adrift games up to 4 often behaved weirdly on SCARE, the interpreter embedded in Spatterlight and I believe Gargoyle.

At Danii

Why wait for hyphenation? full justification fully justifies itself.

As for parchment, some games play fine (Hoosegow), some not (Curses! is not playable in portrait mode without manually scrolling to the sides to read more text). Using Chrome on Android.

Ah, I guess for gargoyle it can be blamed on Ubuntu packagers: not found anywhere on usual spots such as /usr/share, /etc

Oh… yeah I raised a bug about the gargoyle package forgetting to include the config file: code.google.com/p/garglk/issues/detail?id=189 Is it still not included? It’s been included in Ubuntu since version 2010.1-2build1. I’m not sure if the ones from the garglk site do though…

hope it is. I use (used) a fairly old version (hate upgrades). Now I use mobile alone…

To develop, yes. You can play games on Windows, Linux, Mac and in a browser.

Why were you unable to use it?

You can turn the map off, change colours, change fonts and rearrange the windows as you please. What is it exactly that you don’t like about the layout that you can’t customise to something you do like?

If you fancy tickling your nostalgia, you can play that online here.

ADRIFT Runner has had a Mac version since June 2011, and has been online since September 2011.

WAT, somebody ported Jacaranda Jim to Adrift? How about Humbug? 8)

That, too.

adrift.co/game/646

That’s crazy and awesome.

I was under the impression all the non-Windows interpreters were, shall we say, less than optimal.

If I’m wrong, so much the better. :slight_smile:

Well I’ve had very little feedback. So I can only assume that they’re absolutely perfect… :stuck_out_tongue:

Just from your posts, besides the fact that beta testing someone else’s project for free just, well, sucks…, i’d have to say your attitude cannot be helping matter much. While I can appreciate your frustration, as most of us probably can, it comes through in your posts. If your approaching your games as serious as you seem to be, recruiting beta testers and being published, then i suggest approaching it as a business. Incorporate others, co write/develop with someone or someones and branch out the reach of your “personal social network”. You cant have your cake and eat it too buddy, when your paying cheap, you get cheap. or in your case, your paying nothing…and getting nothing. If your this serious its time to invest, otherwise, get off the forum and go test it yourself. lol.

“And it would have been screen-reader accessible. I was going to beta test your old school game Fortress of Fear when testers were asked for, but I couldn’t use the ADRIFT 5 Runner.
Why were you unable to use it?”

The problem I was having may have been specific to Fortress of Fear. I downloaded the latest version of the ADRIFT Runner, and I could play the game All Through the Night with my screen reader. Oddly though, I still can’t play Fortress of Fear; it doesn’t seem to accept my commands.

Neil