Why I Hate Goblins Demo

I have a short demo finished of my game “Why I Hate Goblins,” which is a bit of a tribute to Zork. I’m not expecting anyone to spend too much time messing around with it, as I’m sure it’s nothing special, but I thought people might run through it and give me some tips and things to work on.

One issue I know about that I’ve fixed since I uploaded it: “Pick up” key doesn’t do what “get key” does. Use “get key” rather than “pick up” key, please.

In addition, it tells you “there’s no route that way” when a door is closed or locked. I’ve attempted to handle this by putting the door descriptions in the actual room description. This is an issue with the current version of Adrift, and should be fixed soon.

If you want to try it:

mediafire.com/?co288whc5f76n5c

Edit: More current demo here…
Why I Hate Goblins (Demo 2).rar (19.9 KB)

So it’s definitely a solid start. In general, I think it’s a good idea to reduce the number of elements in play that don’t have anything to do with the player: having so many objects in the first room that don’t matter is kind of distracting. But this is a style thing, so take it for what it’s worth.

As you’ll see from my attempts to find the key, a generous parser is much appreciated - it was pretty frustrating because I knew where the key was, but not what command to enter to make the game respond. It’s worse when you don’t know what to do - I have no idea if I was on the right track in the second room, because nothing seemed to produce anything but the default response.

Then the game crashed, so I didn’t restart to see if I could avoid the place I got stuck.

Transcript:

[spoiler]> x mansion
The Roone mansion has been abandoned for decades. Richie Roone, the son of Baron Roone, moved away before you were born. When the Baron passed away, goblins moved into the old mansion. About a year ago, Richie returned and offered up a sizeable award for anyone who could exterminate them.

Many tried.* All failed.

Now it’s up to you to do what others couldn’t.

Why?

Because you need the money, dammit!

Because you owe people money. Bad people.

*Okay, like four tried.

• Some of the formatting here is attack little off
    Sorry, I didn’t understand that command.

inventory
You are wearing nothing, and are carrying nothing.

x me
Man, I’m pretty!

inside
There is no route to the in, only nowhere.

go inside
There is no route to the in, only nowhere.

look

Outside the Mansion
The mansion is made of stone, and was once whitewashed but has since worn back down to more natural grays and browns. A few trees stand to the west, but aside from that, the field is empty. The door is made of some kind of wood, but not being a tree aficionado, you don’t know what kind. On the front porch are a welcome mat and a bench.

x stone
The stones that make up the mansion vary in size. Some are almost perfectly rectangular. Others are square. And some look like they used to jut out in different directions before someone came along and broke them off.

push stones
You push the stones, but nothing happens.

take stones
You can’t take the stones!

pull stone
You pull the stones, but nothing happens.

x trees
Five or six trees are scattered to your west. They appear to all be the same kind of tree, but you couldn’t name that kind if your life depended on it. You slept through the plant identification chapter in rogue school.

climb tree
You can’t climb the trees.

take tree
You can’t take the trees!

up
There is no route to the up, only nowhere.

west
There is no route to the west, only nowhere.

x field
You’re standing in an empty field. I mean, there’s some grass here, but that’s pretty much it.

Oh, and a mansion inhabited by goblins.

take grass
You can’t take the grass!

x grass
It’s grass. Green crap that grows all over the ground. Like the earth has hair.

inventory

look

Outside the Mansion
The mansion is made of stone, and was once whitewashed but has since worn back down to more natural grays and browns. A few trees stand to the west, but aside from that, the field is empty. The door is made of some kind of wood, but not being a tree aficionado, you don’t know what kind. On the front porch are a welcome mat and a bench.

x porch
Three steps lead up to the front porch of the mansion. There’s a faded old welcome mat here, and a small bench.

x steps
You examine the steps carefully. As far as your sharp rogueish eyes can tell, there are no traps here.

x mat
This old faded rug spells out quite clearly, “WE COME.” Presumably, there used to be an L in there.

Hopefully.

look under mat
This old faded rug spells out quite clearly, “WE COME.” Presumably, there used to be an L in there.

Hopefully.

take mat
You can’t take the welcome mat!

take all
There is nothing worth taking here.

:frowning:

inventory

look

Outside the Mansion

sit
You sit down.

x me
Man, I’m pretty!

look

Outside the Mansion

x bench
This wooden bench is too small for a human to comfortably use. You’ve seen small chairs and benches like this around before, and small chairs. Children could use them, or goblins, but as an adult human you would only sit in a chair like this if you wanted to get up close and personal with your knees.

• then what am i sitting on?

inventory

look

Outside the Mansion

x door
This is the front door to the Roone mansion. It is locked. Several markings have been scratched into it. They aren’t sophisticated enough to be any kind of magical ward. Probably goblin for “the welcome mat lies” or something.

Heh. And there it lies.

Good pun, Zippo. You pat yourself on the back. The front door is currently locked.

x markings
Sorry, I’m not sure which object or character you are trying to examine.

open door
You can’t open the front door as it is locked!

unlock door
What do you want to unlock the front door with?

key

down
There is no route to the down, only nowhere.

e
There is no route to the east, only nowhere.

west
There is no route to the west, only nowhere.

n
There is no route to the north, only nowhere.

south
There is no route to the south, only nowhere.

ne
There is no route to the northeast, only nowhere.

nw
There is no route to the northwest, only nowhere.

sw
There is no route to the southwest, only nowhere.

se
There is no route to the southeast, only nowhere.

search

search mat

x mat

Hopefully.

move mat
The rug slides aside. There’s a key here!

• GRRR.

take key
As you pick up the key, you realize there is a string tied to it. The other end of the string disappears through an almost invisible hole in the middle of the porch. You try to drop the key, but it’s too late.

Swish! A trap door opens beneath you, and you fall teen feet or so into a dark hole. Your one source of light disappears as the trapdoor resets itself above you.

look
It is too dark to make anything out clearly.

inventory

smell

listen

jump

touch

touch walls

inventory

look

down
There is no route to the down, only nowhere.

e
There is no route to the east, only nowhere.

z
Time passes…

z
Time passes…

z
Time passes…

feel

up
There is no route to the up, only nowhere.

climb pit
Sorry, I’m not sure which object you are trying to climb.

climb up
Sorry, I’m not sure which object you are trying to climb.

climb

take all
There is nothing worth taking here.

x all

x dark

x pit

look

inventory

dig

x floor

x walls

x darkness

x dark

hint

outside
There is no route to the out, only nowhere.

shout

yell

scream

inventory

restart

• game crashed here[/spoiler]

For some reason, if you try to go in a direction where a door is closed, it will tell you there’s no route there. It’s a bug with Adrift 5 right now. Should be fixed soon. Once you have the key, unlock and open the door.

I’m currently working on more options for moving the welcome mat, including just taking it with you.

Also, I added an event so that if you try to enter when the door is locked/closed it won’t tell you there’s no route. It will tell you the door is locked/closed.

The file appears to be an .exe – can you release the ADRIFT story file so I can run it with SCARE? (Will it run with SCARE in the latest version?)

If you mean the blorb file, here you go:

Why I Hate Goblins (Demo 2).rar (19.9 KB)

I’ve taken into account a lot of comments I’ve gotten about things that were confusing to people or didn’t work properly. I’m also expanding it a bit. Hopefully, everything in the first area (the stuff that existed when I released the demo last night) works completely now.

If you go into some areas with the lit lantern instead of the torch, it may act like you have the torch. This won’t be too hard to fix.

Edit: I don’t know if the latest version will run with SCARE. Please let me know once you try it.

I keep getting an error when I try to open it with Gargoyle 2011.1, sorry. I think I might only be able to play ADRIFT 5 games online, which won’t be any good for testing purposes, I guess.

That’s alright. I’ll be sure to keep you updated on the progress, and I appreciate the willingness to help even if it didn’t work out.

You should be able to save the game as a .taf, which should be able to be played via Gargoyle/Spatterlight. You might want to post this on the ADRIFT Adventures page under the “Demos” category and solicit some feedback from that forum, as well.

Done
Why I Hate Goblins.rar (20.1 KB)

Gargoyle and Spatterlight are still both giving me this:

It might be something about how I’m downloading or expanding it.

SCARE (and by extension, any SCARE-based interpreters, including Gargoyle and Spatterlight) does not play ADRIFT 5 games.

All right then. I think this means that, as a Mac user, I can only play ADRIFT 5 games on the Webrunner.