What's your relationship with technology?

I remember listening to Blue over and over for at least a week. I have joinked my fathers vinyl collection when I was 17. Joni mitchell’s debut album Song to a Seagull intrigued me then and still does. In my college years I expanded on what I had joinked.

I went home one day from the second hand record store with Blue and played it all night every night for days on end.

And now I’m going to listen to Case of You.

Edited 1,5 minutes later: That intro! Brings tears to my eyes.

2 Likes

Absolute all-time favorite Joni song: You Turn Me On, I’m a Radio, from For the Roses. Best summer song ever.

3 Likes

My family were early adopters of microcomputers because my father is a math professor at Cornell. (For you CS people, his name is in the sophomore textbooks, since he developed one of the fundamental automata theory theorems.) So I started playing around with an IBM PC in 1982, when I was six, when it was first released and my father got one; and with a Macintosh in 1984 when it was released.

At the time my father still hand-wrote his math papers and handed them to secretaries to type on special Selectric typewriters. He had started using email to communicate with colleagues, but he had to go into his office, to a special terminal, to send it, and he printed email out at the office and carried it home. So much more often he’d be making long-distance phone calls to work collaborators. Long-distance charges are something I do not miss.

The computers came with very little in the way of software, but the IBM PC did come with a technical manual and a copy of BASIC, with a full manual. So my introduction was learning to program in BASIC. (BASICA, for those who remember) That’s what there was for entertainment. I took to it like a duck to water.

Eventually I got a copy of Zork and some other Infocom games. Once I got the Macintosh, I fooled around with MacPaint. I learned to type with one of the typing programs on the PC, and learned to use a mouse with the Macintosh.

I was one of the first kids in school to submit word-processed homework; most homework was still done by hand by most students. They still tried to teach us cursive, which was already fairly pointless by then, an interesting example of obsolete technology… I ended up having pretty good printed handwriting and terrible cursive.

In those days, I could only use the computer when my parents weren’t using it. So I learned to write code on paper, with a pencil, and debug it by hand before ever typing it in to the computer. It’s good disclipine, FYI – I am a very good debugger. I also learned to comment my code the hard way – with pencil annotations on a printout. I audited the assembly language course my mother was teaching while I was in elementary school. I learned Prolog and Pascal before I was ten.

Like almost everyone in IT, I don’t trust computers because I know how they work. I got sick of Microsoft breaking things in the early 1990s (they effectively invented email viruses and macro viruses, among other criminal activities done in pursuit of an illegal monopoly), and sick of Apple breaking things in the mid-1990s (due to their well-known “we don’t want you to edit anything” attitude), and became a free software advocate around then.

I like technology when it does what I want it to. And when it doesn’t, I’ve got no tolerance for it: I make it do what I want or I toss it. So sometimes I’m an early adopter, and sometimes I’m a never-adopter. I got an electric car as soon as I could, because gas engines are crap. By contrast I still think cellphones are pretty crap (though they’re almost getting usable now), so I still have my landline. I don’t like to be reachable all the time, so I’m not. I can do touchscreen stuff, but I don’t like it for most purposes.

I have a bunch of muscle issues, and when laptops came in I found them non-ergonomic. So I still have a desktop computer (a “workstation”, they call it now). I don’t compromise: I get the newest thing if it works better for me, and if the older thing works for me better, I stubbornly insist on keeping it.

5 Likes
 I don’t use a Google account, and the cell phone I’m using now runs LineageOS for microG, a mostly open source Android variant without any Google apps. 

OK, now I want to know what phone you’re using.

It certainly won’t solve my complaint that cellphones are non-ergonomic compared to traditional handsets, but it might solve some of my many many other complaints about cellphones…

1 Like

It’s a Moto G7+, but there are a lot of devices supported by LineageOS.

2 Likes

Hmmm people still take notes by hand? You can pen input into tablets. Cursive is arguably more comfortable than writing individual letters. It is also (potentially! :sweat_smile:) more beautiful. And an art form. It is a gateway to drawing. It teaches children to get to grips with intricate manual manipulation, a skill that is a gateway to many activities and jobs. I don’t see teaching cursive writing as in any way a bad thing nor out of date.

1 Like

Every obsolete technology has its hobbyists. Heck, sometimes I’m one of them. Nothing wrong with that. It’s still obsolete and shouldn’t be on the mandatory curriculum for writing (as an elective, sure, and for reading, you have to be able to read old stuff)

I think cursive is only obsolete to the extent that writing by hand in general is obsolete. If you’re writing with pen on paper, it’s still the most efficient way to write at length.

Of course, many people never write that way and that’s fine, but I often find that my thoughts feel looser, and focus is easier, when writing a first draft by hand. I’ve heard of many writers who feel the same way, and I suspect there are others who would find the same if they got into the habit. In such cases, fluency with cursive is a real benefit.

I can write faster printing than I can in any form of cursive, and I’ve been taught at least two. So your mileage may vary.

This may have to do with my long-standing preference for pencils over pens, though. Cursive was invented in the days of fountain pens, and it is easier if you’re using one of those.

My old primary school still teaches cursive in 2022, because they think it makes it easier to memorise things than printed or typed writing due to the increased effort required. Also because most university-track exams in the UK continue to be paper-first (though this is changing rapidly for professional-track exams, and most exams have well-established tech-based accommodations for people who need them). Although I think my old school’s stopped teaching calligraphy, which was an optional class I took there when I was 10. (I’m glad of this because I still have to write perhaps a letter per month, as well as lots of shorter notes on paper for my job in IT, and for me cursive is faster than printing).

3 Likes