What's wrong with using this phrase as a number?

This doesn’t work:

[code]Test is a room.

A person has a number called the divine favour.

To decide which number is the divine favour:
decide on the divine favour of the player.

When play begins: showme whether or not the divine favour is greater than 0.[/code]

This gets the same error:

[code]To decide which number is the divine favour:
Let n be a number;
Now n is the divine favour of the player;
decide on n;

When play begins: showme whether or not the divine favour is greater than 0.[/code]

But this works fine:

[code]To decide which number is the divine favour:
decide on the divine favour of the player.

When play begins:
Let n be a number;
Now n is the divine favour of the player;
showme whether or not n is greater than 0.[/code]

And so does this:

When play begins: showme whether or not the divine favour of the player is greater than 0.

And even this works:

[code]To decide which number is the favour of (servant - a person) with (mistress - a person):
decide on divine favour of servant;

When play begins:
showme whether or not the favour of the player with yourself is greater than 0.[/code]
Why? Is there any way to make this phrase work so it won’t give me hell? (I’m trying to maintain backward compatibility with the divine favour variable in Kerkerkruip)

Once again, sorry for wasting your time. I figured out the problem. The phrase “divine favour” is not recognized because it has the same name as the property “divine favour.” Changing the name allows it to work.

are you making an Inform remake of “Darklands” ? :smiley:

I’ve never heard of Darklands. I’m working on Kerkerkruip version 9. Version 8 is here:

gamingphilosopher.blogspot.com/2 … ase-8.html

Version 8 had a very different religion system. The Version 9 system was working just fine, but I had to go and mess with it anyway… :stuck_out_tongue: