What's one positive/neutral thing that's happened today?

There’s been a ton of Chinese (and a few Japanese) IF posted on IFDB. Surprised, because I didn’t really know there was a Chinese IF scene. Will go check them out, if at the least to practice my Chinese reading/writing skills.

I’m always pleased to see interactive fiction in other languges. Nice to see that it’s more of a global thing, and they provide extra language study material furthermore. I like reading/learning to write regardless of whether or not I’m not fluent in the language — as long as I can understand/improve upon the basic gist of it. It’s kind of like song lyrics — a lot of the time I gravitate towards the inherent poetry that can be found in the words.

6 Likes

I finally felt well enough to walk to the mailbox, and scooped up my necklace! It’s beautiful. The chain is a bit shorter than anticipated, but sits well, and the pendant is beautiful.

It’s a medieval inspired design done up by a local artisan who has the pieces cast in Rhode Island, and then finished and plated by hand herself in our city. She specializes in pieces generally made for TV (historical re-enactments, especially some really glam Tudor pieces) and it’s going to make such a cute daily piece.

I got it because it reminded me of Archangel Michael, (it’s a winged heart with a sword through the centre.) The Venetian chain is a nice counterweight detail wise to the charm, and it’s got a nice weight to it without being obnoxiously heavy. Clasp is super easy to close as well! So happy.

12 Likes

Life has been a bit… weird lately. Can’t seem to write anything coherent for any of my projects, that’s been very frustrating. I think my brain is forcing me to take a break? I dunno… I can’t really find joy/entertainment/fun? in writing and it sucks…

So I’ve been (re-)playing a bunch of games and writing my thoughts down about how much they touched me or made me have a bit of a fun time. It’s been pretty comforting.

I’ve also been going (again) through the Gonch girlies’ catalogues and it’s been eye-opening how much of themselves are in their games. Like it’s not just Oh, this is definitely a [Soph/Autumn/Jinx] game, but more uh, it sounds exactly like [Soph/Autumn/Jinx] or ah, that’s a very [Soph/Autumn/Jinx] thing to do/describe/be interested in. It’s really interesting to see how much people put into their craft, but it’s more obvious when you know stuff about them.

10 Likes

The delight of being known and loved through that knowing.

(I do really like fountain pens and stationery. Proud pen-abler of many of my friends and acquaintances. Most of my silly little guys like ‘em too.)

9 Likes

You know that feeling you get when something satisfyingly clever, devious even, takes shape in your mind? When you literally step out along side of your own thoughts, let out a low whistle, and narrate to yourself, “oooohhhh, that’s sneaky!” That feeling?

Well, I just had the absolute sneakiest damn thought y’all have ever seen take up residence in my brain just now, and I am just grinning like the Cheshire Cat as a result.

es71_1

10 Likes

Happy pride month! Happy it’s here. The Neotwiny jam has been fun so far. Mostly, I’m just sleepy and have a horrific deep chest barking cough, but I’ll take any improvement over the fevers and cold chills. So comfy and cozy in my bed! Also figured out a new way to charge my keyboard, hurray.

11 Likes

One of the two songs so far for post-comp I Am Prey has taken me maybe 2 days of grueling mixing and mastering to ensure it matches a similar frequency profile of the other song, because the other song was made to accommodate easier reading while listening and he as unintrusive as possible.

Of course, this is a lot more difficult when you’re making chase music using the styles and motifs associated with the Prey character, but I sanded everything down, made hundreds of compromises and tried to maximize wherever I could. Pretty sure the mix is actually done.

I knew this was gonna be the hardest song.

5 Likes

Also: Happy pride!! :grin:

7 Likes
Hello
I just wanted to see...
...if I could nest detail dropdowns

But I wasn’t really sure where else to try it.

6 Likes

I have long ongoing private conversation with @discobot about things like that. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

2 Likes

I had an amusing shower thought this morning.

So, you know when you want to get the angry oppositional opinion on something you can typically just google “fuck x” where X is whatever you’re searching for, like “fuck target” for example? And then you get peeps ranting about how target is awful?

Well, whilst rinsing suds from my hair, I thought about how annoying it must be to be a fed up etymology student, and to, in a huff, google “fuck etymology” only to get the detailed etymology of the word fuck instead. The thought of this infuriating the fictional etymology student struck me quite funny.

In other news, my transfat dipped American heart tried a new heresy yesterday.

I dipped Arby’s curly fries in a Wendy’s vanilla frosty and it was fucking divine. They were across the street from each other, so I thought, why not? Waaaaayyyy better than dipping normie Wendy’s fries.

The sweetness of the frosty really makes the salty crunchiness of the curly fries sing.

Anyway, if you want to commit a crime against nature sometime soon, I recommend giving it a try if you can find these two chains near each other.

6 Likes

Belgian fries (sliced by hand from potatoes of the softer, floury variation, like Doré, 4-8 cm long, 1 cm thick), fried in oxtail fat (twice, once at 140° to tenderise, once at 190° to crisp the outside), dipped in freshly made mayonaise (egg, sunflower oil, a bit of salt and pepper, an ever-so-light squeeze of lemon, beaten by hand to the required thickness).

Now begone, demon!

6 Likes

Went and recorded some noises around the house by setting up an industrial fan in a bathroom, among other methods.

Could only record a few sounds before my injury forced me to sit back down.

However: Progress.

10 Likes

Just absolutely destroying a copy of Manon’s template for Sugarcube. Not doing anything too fancy, just trying to match up some formatting -poking at why it appears I’ve disappeared a background colour, but it’s not a big deal if I can’t fix it- to another tinkerbox of mine, but I’ve been haunted by this idea that might work to scratch off two mini goals of mine lately, so that’s what I’m up to. I forgot how fun it is to get a lil’ silly with Twine.

ETA 5 minutes from initial posting: I GOT IT. I FIXED IT! Yay. Very much so thanks to Manon’s well structured comments in the template, of course.

(As for health: things have both gotten better and worse on my end. Generally it evens out in the wash. Just drinking a lot of water and napping- the pain, thankfully, has grown to be bearable to grimace through sips of water without needing to dull the edge to drink.)

9 Likes

Yesterday I went to a concert with my best friend.

Jambinai.

The blurb said “post-metal with Korean folk instruments.” Neither of us had any idea what to expect so we stood there with our ears and minds and hearts wide open.

Mindblowing.

They were really struggling with the fact that their European tour had been cancelled due to the Covid pandemic and sincerely happy that they could finally play in Belgium. This is the composition that most catches the energy of the evening:

JAMBINAI 잠비나이 - THEY KEEP SILENCE 그들은 말이 없다 - YouTube

7 Likes

I really should have done this long before I even made my first submission to SpringThing 2023, but I have finally created a bash script that lets me update the current patch number, compile the game outside of debug mode, and packaging it all up for release.

More importantly: It does all of this without modifying the debug version of my project. I no longer have to go around and make sure I have all of my non-debug settings in place when making a release package. I can keep my project the way it is! :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Interesting, their sound reminds me of E.S.T. somehow.

2 Likes

Do you mean this EST? The Esbjörn Svensson Trio?

I would not have made the association myself, but you’re right. Slow mesmerising everlasting build-up, fast rhythmic-heavy release, excellent use of strings.

If it’s another E.S.T. you were pointing at, please show the link. I’m curious.

3 Likes

Yes Esbjörn Svensson Trio is the one I was thinking of. E.S.T. use all classical instruments, that is why I found it interesting to be reminded of.

I think you are right, it’s not the sound per se, but the mood of the music that made me think of them probably.

2 Likes