What's one positive/neutral thing that's happened today?

Woo me too! Although I did it a week or so ago, so I win.

7 Likes

Wearing one of the skirts I thrifted today! I feel so cute in this one, it’s a purple plaid pencil skirt, it’s sooo cute!

5 Likes

Wait, no way? I have a purple plaid skirt too- though it’s wool and vintage to the 80’s. I’m glad that you feel cute in yours!

4 Likes

Yes Phil. You win.

Here’s a sticker and some change for the candy shop. Now don’t you go gobbling it all up in one go, won’t you?

3 Likes

Ooohh! That’s so fun! I’d love to see that skirt one day if you don’t mind my kitty crumb!

2 Likes

I went stark-raving-mad on this public forum about neural network intelligences, and nobody shut me down for it, or compared my excited conjectures to Soylent Green!

(Yes, this actually happens. A lot. If I had a dollar for every time someone tried to mock me by comparing my interests to “Soylent Green”, when the topics are literally unrelated and incomparable, then I wouldn’t have to look for a job. I was once explaining the Boltzmann Brain Hypothesis, and someone was like “Gurrrrrl shut up; this is like Soylent Green.” Like what??)

(Also, why does everyone pick that movie?? It’s a statistical anomaly!)

Anyways, (salt aside,) I’m extremely thankful that I was given space to go off about one of my interests that I’m usually hesitant to talk about, even if I was a little off-topic.

7 Likes

I ran across Autumn Chen streaming a playthrough of VESPERTINE on accident- I wasn’t sure if the Goncharov games would still be being streamed when I hopped in, and wound up right in the middle of a reading of mine! Talk about happy coincidences.

ETA: The stream was super fun. There was a heck of a lot of talent in the Goncharov gamejam submissions! Next Sunday aroundish the same time is the tentative plan to watch some more!

6 Likes

My most recent AMFV piece was mentioned in this week’s Critical Distance!

December 11th – Critical Distance (critical-distance.com)

5 Likes

I very much enjoyed reading your thoughts on the matter.

And despite your repeated apologies for going on an off-topic ramble, others were actively engaging with the subject, sometimes jokingly, sometimes seriously.

I thought it was a great exchange.

5 Likes

Thanks again for joining the stream! This was my first time streaming so i was probably very awkward (somewhat more so than usual). I am planning on streaming the gonch games until i’ve played/read all of them, at the same time next Sunday.

5 Likes

I saw the cutest little baby being pushed in a pram and when he saw my mask (it’s pastel pink and has My Melody on it) he said ‘BA?’ and cooed while waving a chubby fist as his mummy took him off to the daycare on campus. He had a little blue bear hat on with ROUND little ears. SO CUTE!

I also saw a sparkly silver bow on a little used stairwell entrance that’s mostly a route taken by the elevator maintenance personnel. I love the festive spirit that floats around this time of year, and I’d like to imagine one of the night shift workers popped it up for his coworkers in the morning to see, or vice versa. Probably not, but it’s harmless to imagine.

A boy about my age- all on his own, was furtively feeding one of the campus squirrels a peanut from what appeared to be a cup of them in his hand. The odd thing was it was still shelled, but he seemed to be in a hurry off to the Engineering building, so one wonders if he was shelling peanuts as a morning snack…? Or if he had expressly brought some along for his squirrel friend. Either way, very sweet. Sometimes people are so nice without anyone to see, and it’s really endearing.

Oh! And an elderly Golden Retriever was so happy about being taken on a walk, she was mouthing on her red leash as if to walk herself. So adorbs.

8 Likes

Your positive day is a good start to my day. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You absolutely radiate bubbliness!

What a fun morning you had, and what fun that you so enthusiastically tell us all about it.

Love the silver bow on the staircase. Great image.

5 Likes

An earlier post about cats has led me to start an new game using TADS 3 with the new version of Adv3Lite 1.6 that Eric Eve just released.

A good day. My muse is singing. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

My dog ate a lot of grass and was really whiny last night, and we were like, oh no. She’s definitely going to throw up on the rug at 3:00 in the morning. So we picked up the rug and resigned ourselves to waking up to the sound of barfing in the wee hours.

And it didn’t happen. I’m sure this is because we removed the rug, because dog barf MUST go on rugs. Maybe 5% of the floor of our house has a rug on it, but 100% of dog barf goes on a rug. This has been true for 6 dogs across 30 years, so there is definitely something about rugs that sings a siren song to a vomiting dog. But anyway, it could have been One Of Those Nights, and it wasn’t, and that’s a really good way to start the day.

8 Likes

-If one were to lightly toast a slice of bread, and one were to thinly butter one side of said toasted slice of bread, and one were to spread an equally thin layer of canine vomitus on the opposing side of said toasted slice of bread;
-If one were to subsequently release thusly prepared toasted slice of bread from table-height directly above a further unspecified rug;

What would happen?

6 Likes

5 Likes

This is SO EASY to answer. The dog would intercept the bread before it hit the floor and gobble it, and then vomit it on the rug. Vomit is often hoovered up and recycled, so we often see the exact same vomit several times in the course of a day.

3 Likes

Well, a lot of things went very wrong, some things came out okay, and I’m still proud of myself for seeing them through!

I had a doctor’s appointment today to get an update on a psychiatric referral and to fill out some paperwork pertaining to being a student with a permanent disability. I cried during the appointment- nothing unusual, this sort of thing is really stressful. There’s a fee associated with this paperwork- and my card declined. Weird, because I have money in the account, and my card doesn’t expire for another year!

This is a problem because if you don’t pay off your debts on your account before end of term, they’ll put a freeze on your account: which prevents your grades being released, stops you from being able to check out library books in the school system, and can potentially drop you from courses and from the enrolment period, all while accruing massive interest fees.

Well, off across town I go to visit the nearest branch location for my bank. I get the newcomer who’s still actively in training, and he can’t seem to help me- the card pin is verified, but the information is absolutely absent in the system: it flashes for a moment, and then disappears. A manager gets called over- she can’t help me either, and tells me to head to my home branch: as well as call up a particular department. Issue is, I won’t be home at the home branch for a couple of weeks- and that freeze will be placed soon!

So off I go back to campus, huffing and puffing from dragging my backpack along with me. To Student Affairs I go, looking incredibly scraggly and sort of pathetic at this point in time- and they redirect me to Enrolment and Fees, so away I go again- punching in my appointment purpose and take a ticket to wait.

There, they seem absolutely baffled as to why I was directed here- and agree it’s all incredibly silly seeing as I have the money in cash, but the centre will only take the money in credit or debit, and will not take e-transfer, unlike their sister psychiatry and general counselling centre. They rummage around, weakly offer that they can put a note to not freeze my account because they can clearly see I have the money, and since it’s a banking issue, that I can pay it off in the New Year.

That’s great and all, I’ll have it fixed by then- but the problem is the medical centre can independently put a freeze on the account. I thought the bank could fix the issue, and if they couldn’t, I could borrow a relative’s card- forgetting that they charge with the medical centre’s name attached, and that is not an option for me, given that it’s sensitive information. So back to the medical centre I go!

Anyways, I got it sort of fixed- neither entity will levy a freeze against the account or charge interest until after the new semester begins, they’re in touch with the Enrolment officer for my year to make sure I don’ get bumped from my courses, and this all gives me about a month to figure out the banking situation, and I’ll be able to barge into my home branch and ask for help. Nightmare. At the very worst case scenario, I can ask my brother to borrow his card and pay him back in cash for the transaction.

It all feels insanely absurd considering I have the money twice over in cash, but for… some reason? They won’t accept paper money, even though they did in the past, which has made this an issue that’s never occurred for me before. Post pandemic measures, I guess, but you’d think they’d want to get paid faster…

Anyways, I have debilitating generalized anxiety disorder, (to the extent I very rarely leave to go outside and it’s an ordeal to force myself to to attend courses and labs and medical appointments, to the extent that I just kind of bleakly accepted hemorrhaging for about a month before I could finally steel the resolve to get some antibiotics and an appointment virtually because the excruciating agony I was in was not worth the pain of interacting with an unknown doctor) so I’m kind of stunned I managed to speak to a whole bunch of random people in an unexpected way and advocated for myself enough to get the notes on my account to not freeze it.

That was all really scary! And while the ideal outcome (please, just take my damn money!) didn’t happen, an okay ending did, and I was a very brave little meowmeow limping across town on my bad leg to try to get things sorted. That’s a win in my book.

I also kind of find it ambiently funny I was so pathetic and scraggly and a sopping wet kitty that people kept calling me little endearments and looking mildly panicked at encountering me, like, little dear, and love, and sweetheart, and I’m like I’m so sorry I’m just doing my best have a nice day thanks you too! LOL.

11 Likes

Oh! People in the Tumblr IF chat shared some pictures of their kitties with me which was really sweet of them, Arlo’s cat is orange and white and those are my favourite kind of cats. He has little SOCK markings… so cute.

I always forget how poorly the general public treats service staff, because everyone I encountered today seemed absolutely baffled when I went through the bare minimum of pleasantries with them (hello, how are you doing? Thanks so much, have a nice day hun!) and didn’t fly into like, a rage about them not being able to solve my problem. Especially the new guy at the bank, he was already preemptively cringing a little when he realized neither he or his manager could help, but I just said thanks anyhow, have a nice day sir! and he looked absolutely bewildered.

6 Likes