What're you working on for Ectocomp?

Anyone interested in a beta-test swap in the last couple of weeks of October? We won’t have much luck elsewhere because of IFComp.

4 Likes

I’m down, certainly!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind either.

2 Likes

This is Kat’s Twitch channel! Kat also plays through games, (usually visual novels, though I’ve suggested some IF from recent comps to them as well) and usually announces in advance on their Twitter when they’re going live/what they’ll be streaming.

Their big project is ‘Art Without Blood’ (AWB) which has a Twitter page and a demo out. So, whenever they stream working on AWB, it’s usually of them writing into Atom (Ren’py’s suggested code editor) for dialogue, or working on art assets for the game!

2 Likes

Yeah, the copyright holders of Tintin are a nasty bunch that will sue you out of existence the moment you even think about it.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely!

For sure!

@Draconis @aschultz @dee_cooke @AIMatME

I’ll start a thread in a week or two and tag y’all there.

4 Likes

If it is not too late I’d like to join!

3 Likes

I’m not really sure what the rules are around la petite mort and testing, but until I’ve done it I won’t be sure whether I’d have time for corrections anyway.

My understanding is that you can have people test it all you want, but you need to reserve some of your four hours for incorporating their feedback.

(I could be wrong about this though.)

3 Likes

I’m making a purposely stupid Petite Morte game; I’m hoping to make people laugh for about 20-30 moves then close the game. It’s fun to work on small games with time limits as a little treat

13 Likes

I haven’t written in a while.

1. I feel particularly rusty on comedy writing what with general circumstances and all being either not funny or something I’m tired of laughing about to no effect.

2. I’m retraining for yet another career pivot and these OSHA trainings are kicking my butt, all time-consuming and boring and just… ugh. There should just be one question on a test: “You should never wear PPE and generally act like a dingus on a job site… true or false?”

So I’ve decided I’m going to try taking both of these frustrations and attempt to turn them into a stupid, probably not meaningfully interactive Petite Mort entry. If it makes one person laugh, huzzah, I will have succeeded. As far as I’m concerned, ECTOCOMP was designed for this sort of primal scream scribbling, or at least the original Petite Mort.

Then again what with the new job and all, I may myself be too undead to write anything before the deadline. It’ll have to be petite if anything. We’ll see. If I don’t make it by the deadline, I could always release after. I’ve done that before.

9 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes that’s where the best humor comes from, from turning a frustration into something positive.

Congrats on taking the steps you have, even if they seem frustrating and slow at the moment.

(Selfish update: everything’s technically in place for my game! Just, uh, some room descriptions are blank.)

3 Likes

I’m cowriting a wholesome game about a helpful ghost that’s looking like it will be ready in time! But I’ve also been thinking it would be fun to do a spooky sequel to my previous game, Closure, and maybe it could be done in four hours by reusing code…

5 Likes

I’m writing a La Petite Mort game that I suspect is going to be the weird goth kid standing in the corner of the spooky fun ECTOCOMP party.

6 Likes

So I’ve only just now decided to follow through on this at the last minute, so knowing full well that this isn’t enough warning and that time zones are bad, I will technically fulfil my obligation to let y’all know by saying now that I’m starting in about 40 minutes (2pm BST) and I’ll be streaming on my twitch.

4 Likes

I was gonna do a Petit Mort game about a ship captain who’s being yelled at to throw somebody overboard by a disembodied voice but I had a framing device where you’re at a fancy party and everybody speaks in a formal register, which I decided to represent by having people speak in rhyme and that is apparently 832 words long and also I lost track of time and spent nearly an hour and twenty minutes on it so uuuuuuuh I guess the meat of this game is gonna be real short then.

edit: writing rhyming dialog is not fast even if you’re not trying to make it particularly good rhyming dialog

11 Likes

1:48:43 into implementation, I’m realizing nine rooms may have been a bit too ambitious. I know how to implement everything, but writing all these room and thing descriptions is taking a while…

7 Likes

I wasn’t going to torture myself with a Petit Mort game this year, but then I got an idea, so damnit, I’m doing it again.

I’m keeping mine to one room, and it’s still making me urpy trying to get it done in time. And now 2 hours are gone.

10 Likes