What Will You Play First in IFComp?

I’ve always done randomized order, but I realized last year that I was just ending up playing like twenty games I didn’t enjoy at all before I got to anything that I liked, and it was making me cranky and bitter about what was supposed to be a fun hobby, so this time I’m just going to go for whatever looks fun and interesting to me.

10 Likes

I try to go with randomized sorting, but if a game throws me for a loop, I have a list of stuff I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy, so I’m in a good mood to tackle works I might not really mesh well with. I don’t mind pushing an entry to the back of my list.

It took me a while to feel bad about sort of ignoring authors, but

1. If it’s a choice between no judging/reviewing and cranky judging/reviewing I go with the first.
  2. as The_Xenographer already noted, you can wear yourself out quickly feeling forced to play games you aren’t in the mood for.
  3. it’s okay to note what other authors have to say about an entry that might confuse you, to help get your bearings.

So skip away if you need to. I say this as someone who writes stuff that many find skippable.

5 Likes

Ideally I play a horror game first out of genre loyalty. Otherwise I choose something short, easy and/or surprising (of any genre) that I feel will get my playing or reviewing ball rolling. And then I play what I’m in the mood for when I’m in the mood for it.

-Wade

3 Likes

About the “judge’s guilt”-complex, it really helps to look at the review spreadsheet and notice that different people are filling in reviews for all the different niches. Short/long, horror/slice-of-life, they all get played and reactions to them keep trickling in.

So I don’t feel worried about starting off with games I feel sure I’m going to like. I just engage the list from my side of preference and then later begin branching out.

4 Likes

Between The Grown-Up Detective Agency, Headlights, Cannelé & Nomnom - Defective Agency, Who Shot Gum E. Bear, and According to Cain, this is a great year to be a mystery lover. Outside of that, I’m very intrigued by One Final Pitbull Song. But first a few randomly sorted games.

6 Likes

I am first working on January because @litrouke is my good friend and has provided endless support and advice for both me and my games. Plus he would not let me beta test as much as I hinted that I wanted to! His 10PM from a few Comps ago was extremely well written with a unique and novel interface.

I just started but had to put it down because my “what actually bothers me” stats have been recently re-rolled due to IRL issues and so far it’s extremely effective bleak apocalyptic plague survival horror.

4 Likes

I jumped right in to Jim Aiken’s Sprawling puzzler, “Only Prom Dress”. Great game. I may be ready to write a review, but this post isn’t the review

After that I alternate between games by authors I know, games by new authors with great blurbs, games that look short enough to play in one sitting, and games that are fed to me by the randomized.

Doug Egan

4 Likes

That’s fantastic. If I remember right, that’s one of the few games without a review, so the author might really appreciate one.

1 Like