What’s the last thing you looked up while writing?

my most recent search regarded whether walnut shells could be burned for efficient heating (for a story where people engineer massive tree nuts for fuel/food). based on a biofuel forum, apparently they’re pound for pound better than most firewood.

4 Likes

The geographic distribution of the names for rubber-soled shoes worn for athletic activities.

Turns out in most of the US the most common term is “tennis shoes”, in the Northeastern US and southern Florida it’s “sneakers”, and around the Great Lakes “gym shoes” is common.

5 Likes

Spelling. Constantly spelling. Specifically, I don’t know how to spell embarrassing, no matter how many times I look it up.

1 Like

:thinking:

:wink:

3 Likes

Wow, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a googlewhack in the wild!

3 Likes

Well, I had to google that one too.

And I still wonder what the first means. Must have something to do with T. S. Eliot, but I don’t think the other guitarist from ACDC was called that.

Sounds like a good title for a game though. Would also be easy to find on Google.

2 Likes

Yeah, he just meant improvising something based on T.S. Eliot (“riff” being metaphorical, rather than specifically musical).

3 Likes

1 Like

I’ve meant to get around to learning drawing for a long time. I have a library book checked out, but I was embarrassed to realize I could type “How to draw glasses” or whatever, and bam! A video tutorial on glasses. Ten years old, no less.

I wind up also looking up a lot of odd definitions of words whose meanings I’m not sure of. But they kind of fade in and out. This was the biggest most recent one, as I really do want to either 1) draw my own cover art or 2) be able to hand a decent sketch to someone with more talent than me.

1 Like