What recurring dreams have you had?

I saw this thread (which can still use replies) and thought it was an invitation to describe your own recurring dreams.

Now I’m interested in knowing what your recurring dreams are (including @tundish’s). Feel free to share if you’d like!

4 Likes

I frequently have dreams where I’m exploring an elaborate house that goes on and on and on. I usually don’t go far since it feels like this is not my house and I don’t want to get lost, but in real life I would love to explore a complicated house with secret passages and hidden rooms, etc.

8 Likes

I’ll refrain from sharing the details of my most common recurring night terror- and pick out a more pleasant one!

I’m laying down in the dark. It’s the kind of dark that’s absolute- you can’t see your fingers in front of your face. I can’t get up even if I wanted to. I don’t want to. It’s cold enough that it burns- fingertips and nose buzzing with the chill. I can hear the wind whipping over the snow banks. Snowflakes fall- little smudged flecks of light, like city lights when you drive in the rain. They keep falling. Someone is walking nearby, the crunch of their steps loud. It smells like saltwater. It smells like the air does before it rains. I can’t stop shivering. My teeth click against each other. I can’t move. It feels like something heavy is pressing down on my chest. My ribs ache.

When they sit down nearby, they break the icy crust gathered on the ground. Their wings flutter- a steady beat, the vague sound of a pigeon cooing. A light glows from where they’re sitting cross legged, spilling marine blue all over the scape. It pulsates. When they speak- I know it’s Michael. I can’t breathe to speak. All around us is total silence, except for him. His voice is a droning buzz, quiet and just behind my ear. I can’t understand anything he says, only the tone of it. It’s safe. It’s peaceful. I drift off to sleep underneath a blanket of snow- and wake up all cozied up in the waking world with my blankets.

5 Likes

You stand in the kitchen of an old house in England. The window offers a glimpse of the garden. It is narrow.
There is a door to the left. It gives out to a paved area. Sometimes they park the car there. But it’s empty now.

You can go out there if you like.

4 Likes

I used to have this one a lot. I’d be exploring an old house and every room would have a door leading to several other rooms. The architecture would vary; some rooms would be Victorian or even earlier, some brutalist concrete, some industrial. There would often be escalators and raised walkways, secret panels and narrow staircases. In some versions of the dream I would be looking for something, trying to find a particular room usually near the top of the building. Frequently it would be a lucid dream in which I remembered having had this dream before. In these cases the house would seem familiar and I would be excited to revisit it. On some occasions it would be frightening, and the room I was seeking would contain something terrifying; a ghost, a poltergeist.

I often dream that the house or flat I live in (never the flat I live in in real life) has additional rooms that I’ve somehow forgotten about. When I remember that I have these rooms, I wonder why on earth I’ve never made use of them. I go down and visit them (they’re almost always downstairs, like in a basement) and the rooms are old and neglected, with furniture from the sixties or seventies, furniture that belonged to some previous owner. But I am always struck by the potential of them, and excited by the possibilities.

I wonder what houses represent, in dreams, and whether that potential really exists, somewhere, waiting for me to find it?

4 Likes

I have this dream ALL THE TIME. Except in my dream, it is is my house. After I buy it, I find a passageway that leads to a beautiful, enormous, decaying ballroom or a maze of library rooms or something like that. It’s simultaneously amazing (a 3,000 square foot ballroom with inlaid floors? How did I not notice that?) and horrifying (how am I going to afford to fix this mess?).

I taught high school for many years, and I still have teaching dreams where I get to my classroom on the first day of school and I don’t know what I’m teaching or what grade it is or how the school is laid out or anything. Which actually is pretty close to the reality of teaching in a Texas public school. Anything can happen.

I see this is quite common! I’ve always wondered what the deal is with how often I have the dream, and how it treads the line between adventure/fantasy and horrible nightmare. Maybe it’s just because every house I’ve ever bought has had both pleasant and unpleasant surprises.

6 Likes

I had a look online, and it seems that finding new rooms in your house is quite a common recurring dream, and a very positive one!

3 Likes

It’s a really IF-ish dream, now that I think about it. I mean, it’s pretty much the plot of your basic text adventure. Maybe we were all set up to have it by Zork and Anchorhead.

3 Likes

Or maybe Zork and Anchorhead originated with that dream…

3 Likes

Well, since we’re calling them ‘recurring dreams’, I’d suggest that anything happening is not a defining characteristic.
In my case , I recognise a regular theme in some dreams which indicate to me an external threat to which I have not yet formulated a response.
I also get joyous, floating-on-air dreams which eventually dissipate into unfulfillment. I suspect that’s because of something fundamental to myself which I am not yet able to acknowledge.

I’ll let you know how I get on :crazy_face:

2 Likes

My sister once had a dream, long before she had children of her own, that someone had given her a tiny baby to look after, no bigger than her thumb. She put it in a matchbox and placed it on a shelf for safe-keeping, but unfortunately she forgot about it. When she remembered she opened the matchbox and the baby was all dried and shriveled up. Somebody else I know had exactly the same dream, except that in his dream it was a tiny dog.

If recurring dreams tell us anything at all, it’s how similar we are…

2 Likes

Is it possible that the baby was herself? I’m not saying this frivolously. It happens more often than we might imagine.

4 Likes

I honestly believe that dreams do have meanings and that recurring dreams in particular are our subconscious minds trying to tell us something important. They do so using metaphor and storytelling. Sometimes, after a particularly vivid dream (the sort that wake me up) I’ve been able to decode the message by lying in bed and gently probing the memory of the dream, asking myself questions about what it might represent. When I get it right, I feel a rush of ecstatic energy up my spine and across the top of my head. If I correctly deduce what a recurring dream has been trying to tell me, it goes away and I never dream it again. I’d be interested to know if anyone else has experienced something like this.

5 Likes

I think it’s weird that our culture doesn’t recognise sleep to be as valuable as it is. Forget coffee, alcohol, fruit, or plant-based protein. It’s 15:48 and I want a ten minute nap. And then I’ll be ready to dial into your bullshit catchup synchro-festival at 16:30.

3 Likes

Speaking of sleep being important, I should probably try to catch some. It’s 2 o’clock in the morning!

6 Likes

Never tell me the numbers. But oh, all right :grin:

2 Likes

Let us know if you have any dreams.

4 Likes

they all come from the dream in “Alice and Wonderland”.

1 Like

Getting on the wrong bus.

3 Likes

It’s been years since I commuted on public transit, but I still have nightmares about it on the regular. I drew on them heavily for inspiration when I wrote What the Bus?, although the scenarios in the game get a little wackier and more fantastical than the dreams usually get.

When I was a teenager, I frequently had recursive nightmares—it would start as just a regular nightmare, then I would dream that I woke up, but things would be subtly off, and then eventually would descend into another full-blown nightmare, from which I’d dream that I woke up, but then… you get the idea. I really hated those.

9 Likes