What is wrong with iplayif.com?

Latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, all on the same Windows 10 box. I plan to try on another machine outside my home tomorrow, and will report back with more specifics then.

Yeah that does sound very similar to @salty-horse’s old issue. I wonder if they’re still having trouble with Parchment?

The proxy domain’s certificate is generated by Cloudflare, the same as the main domain. If there was actually a certificate problem then lots more of the internet would be broken, not just one aspect of Parchment.

Seems likely that either the ISP or possibly some filter (anti-virus etc?) on your computer is blocking the domain.

The proxy domain isn’t important, so I could change it if that would solve the issue. Hard to know if it would fix it without trying though.

I don’t remember the details of the errors I was having, or where I reported it. (the domain trying to access files from another domain? The story file using http while iplayif was using https?)

No issues with Parchment ATM. Links from IFDB load fine, and I haven’t switched browsers since then.

I changed Parchment to not use the proxy.iplayif.com domain. Any improvement?

Yes, it’s now working perfectly! Is it just a simple change from one name to another? Why in the world would my ISP block that? Or is it more likely something on my router?

Regardless, it works fine now, and I can do my demonstration in school, so thank you so much for all the help and support!

1 Like

It’s not uncommon for schools or workplaces to block web proxies, but it is weird for a home ISP to do so. It’s also pretty stupid if it’s just blindly blocking all domains that contain “proxy” because that wouldn’t catch many real web proxies, while also occasionally catching other things like this. (The Parchment Proxy can’t be used like a normal web proxy because it only accepts requests for IF storyfiles).

Since last year proxy.iplayif.com is just an alias for the iplayif.com domain and server, so it really makes no difference which one is used. So I just changed Parchment to access the proxy from the main domain instead.

2 Likes