What is the copyright/licensing status of the Inform default cover image?

What is the copyright/licensing status of the Inform default cover image? Obviously, I know it must be permitted to distribute it with Inform games (I thought I remembered the manual explicitly stating as such, though if it does I can’t seem to find that now). But, I am wondering whether it can be redistributed in other contexts, and, if so, how to attribute it properly.

Specifically, I am working on a small desktop app to display/organize a library of story files, and I am wondering whether it would be appropriate to use Inform’s default cover as a placeholder for games that don’t have art of their own (regardless of authoring system). This would be released under a free software license if it ever got to a point where someone else might find it useful.

I see that the Inform repository has the Artistic License 2.0, but:

1. The text of the license is geared towards source code specifically; and
  2. It is not uncommon for free software projects to use one license for code and another (e.g. Creative Commons) for other resources; and
  3. One provision of the license states “This license does not grant you the right to use any trademark, service mark, tradename, or logo of the Copyright Holder,” which might conceivably encompass the cover art.

I’ve tried to search the forums for this, but I haven’t found anything about licensing as of yet. Thanks in advance if anyone knows!

3 Likes