What burial type would you choose?

I would prefer something thoughtful and tasteful, along the lines of the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus.

5 Likes

Then why do they call it the Large Hadron Collider?

4 Likes

Frozen, pulverized by ultrasound, and composted.

3 Likes

Nobody’s mentioned liquefaction yet, or what Wikipedia boringly calls ‘Alkaline hydrolysis’. It’s getting bigger every year.

For your next death, consider liquefaction.

What’s extraordinarily annoying about googling it is that the first image that comes up is some smartarse’s compilation image with, on the left, a still of a liquefying Nazi from the peak of the special FX extravaganza at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and on the right, a machine for liquifying.

-Wade

3 Likes

Ooh, now I want the sky burial version that’s the analogue to the sea burial: just chuck my corpse out of an airplane. It might be a little traumatic for the people whose back yard I’d splatter in though.

4 Likes

I would consider liquefaction an acceptable alternative to promession. :dizzy_face: :sweat_drops: :coffin:

3 Likes

I think it would be cool to have my ashes pressed into diamonds (I can’t believe I actually searched if you could do that just for this) except my brain. That could be used for studies, I don’t know. Either that or I’ll have someone dump my body into the sea after I die as a prank.

2 Likes

I’m on the organ donor/science donation list, but if I’m not accepted, I’d like to be buried in such a way as to help a plant grow. (The rules are complicated enough that a Plan B is necessary).

2 Likes

I used to think it would be cool to have my skull varnished and placed on the mantelpiece of whoever survives me, but I have been told that would be too macabre :frowning:

My new plan is a Viking-style funeral with lots of fire. Pretty to look at for the spectators.

4 Likes

Nonsense. Skulls are beautiful. Last year my husband subscribed me to a skull-of-the-month club, and every month I get a skull in the mail. Of a small animal, not a person, to be clear. It’s such a joy to unpack my new skull every month and wonder what it will be. A quail? A lizard? A rat? Anyway, it was the sweetest present ever. I felt so seen.

** Edit: In case anyone wants to give their wife the best gift ever: #BoneBox Monthly Subscription — Skulls Unlimited International, Inc.

5 Likes

This is actually a pain to try to arrange (at least in the US) 'cause the law is so darn fussy about human remains.

Me too; liquefaction or promession would have to be for the odds and ends.

Speaking of macabre, anyone else notice that that alkaline hydrolysis Wikipedia article says (paraphrasing):

If you want to get rid of a body, all you need is a big bag of caustic potash and a bathtub you can keep at 98°F for 16 hours.

? (I wonder what the gas output is like. That’s the problem with H2SO4 and hydrogen peroxide: huge amounts of white smoke.)

3 Likes

I’m definitely donating my organs too ( if there be any in shape to be given)

1 Like

Of course I want to be cremated, but I know people choose to be buried because of old traditions.

1 Like

My aunt arranged to have some of her ashes made into crystals for her grandchildren.

3 Likes

My dad bought a cabin on the river that was furnished, and full of all kinds of tchotchkes and candles and pretty rocks - artifact-y keepsakes from the previous owners. One of these was the faceplate of a human skull from upper-teeth to the forehead which someone had sawed cleanly straight across and drilled a hole in so it could be hung by a string.

We didn’t think much of it at the time because we’re around a lot of locations where people find Native American arrowheads and fossils and such. Only later in life did it fully dawn on me that this probably wasn’t that.

We still have it - it’s never behaved as a cursed item or anything. It didn’t seem appropriate to randomly throw away, and I can’t imagine walking into a police station and going “hey, you might want this… this is something we’ve been keeping in our attic with old candlesticks and boardgames…”

5 Likes

depending on place yeah its gonna be really hard to arrange but not impossible maby if your body was taken to difrent country? thou for me that would be a bit much effort when im already dead|

Personaly geting cremated seems like better option with similar effect - you can always have metal skull as urn - that would be dope and prob not as hard to arrange - beside fine someone to make one

2 Likes

oh yeah totally saw somewhere some really wild urns like earth globe I don’t think metal skull is that far off
EDIT: Found it

1 Like

For the people who want their skull varnished and/or being made into gemstones:

ALso animated version (haven’t watched, could be horrible): https://www.reddit.com/r/animation/comments/jwprmu/i_dont_want_my_dead_husbands_skull_raita_animated/

2 Likes

As someone who recently dealt with this and got the best advice from a kindly funeral director: “Do not feel the need to impulse-buy an urn in the funeral home.” The ones I looked at on display all started around $299 and the same exact and more beautiful and unique urns could be had on Amazon starting from $59-$150 (and more, depending what you want.) Cremains come in a sealed plastic box in a plastic bag by default and can be moved into a container after the fact - you don’t have to have the urn ready right when you receive them and can take time to make a more thoughtful decision.

I even joked with my friend when browsing Amazon, “Heck, I can afford to get my loved-one a vacation urn at these prices!”

6 Likes

Wow that is on another level thou great communication between partners i would love to have that good of communication skills

1 Like