What are you listening to?

Boomer Tunes: A Millennial’s Selections

A shamelessly more honkey tonkey song from a group usually better known for their Southern Rock. Catchy goofy lyrics sketch out a little story during the song.

5 Likes

If I remember right, this was the band that my mother used to hang out with when they still played out of a garage. She was apparently dating a sibling of one of band members at the time, and said that sometimes they would hang out in the garage to listen to the band play.

EDIT: Hold on, lemme verify because my memory is infamously awful. It was either Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin, or Styx… (Apologies to fans of these three bands; this is not my genre of specialty.)

EDIT 2: Yup, I was wrong. It was Styx. The way she described it, it was probably wayyyy before the band took off. She was very much there for her boyfriend-at-the-time and the fact that a rock band was playing in the same house was an afterthought. She thinks it’s really cool that they got big, lol.

EDIT 3: Okay so after asking, I got another response text message that sounds like it wasn’t a sibling of a band member. Apparently she was dating someone who was a really close friend to a sibling of a band member, so that house was a common hangout spot for everyone. Honestly I’m amused by the increasing level of disconnection, despite the fact that she still watched the band play in their garage before, lol.

6 Likes

Oh man, I was super into Styx when I was a kid - that is an awesome connection!

(Too bad you didn’t post this yesterday, since I had a work meeting where the check in question was “what’s the most embarrassing band you’ve liked”, and I didn’t have a great answer - Styx would have definitely qualified lol).

5 Likes

Spotify put Akini Jing on my radar a while ago, but I hadn’t watched any of her music videos until now. This one is sticking in my brain like bluetack: fun wuxia cinematic narrative that ties into her other releases, eerily clean and breathy vocals that tie the electronica urgency of the backing instrumentals to the more dreampop ballad-y section near the bridge, and a deliciously intriguing translation of the Mandarin lyrics in the burnt-in English subtitles.

3 Likes

I’ve been into ambient music, in particular listening to Echoes of Bluemars, an icecast stream on a randomized playlist. The purest form of streaming radio :innocent:

http://echoesofbluemars.org

4 Likes

I had the house to myself yesterday evening, so I dimmed the lights, put a record on the pick-up and settled back in my comfy seat.

5 Likes

I checked out a record store (Music Research Library) near the state house in Boston yesterday, and I think it’s my new fave. Not a huge selection, but varied, great quality, and reasonably priced. I got a couple gifts for friends as well as a few records for myself - Donovan, Madonna, and a Throbbing Gristle live album :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Really getting into Weezer at the moment, especially the “Dear Daddy” verse of Say It Ain’t So. It gives me the absolute chills.
Oh, and obviously the awesome mini riff in Buddy Holly.

I also found an Irish Folk band on Spotify which my music teacher is a member of, and it’s pretty good! So yeah, good week for music.

Still, nothing beats Radiohead in any way for me. Next (this, if you’re like me) Wednesday, me and my band are performing in a Battle of the Bands, doing Paranoid Android. It’s going well, I’m vaguely nervous. I do have to sing the bridge (“YOU DON’T REMEMBER”, I mean to get it to not sound really annoying is fairly hard). And then I go really low on “Rain down” (doing the low harmony), which will be interesting once I hit bass E!

6 Likes

have you heard The Smile’s record that dropped today? i’m just listening for the first time now. Good luck with battle of the bands, I would be so thrilled to hear Paranoid Android at one of those!

5 Likes

From my understanding, experiencing their live show 1) at a physical remove and 2) without the visual component is probably the safest bet!

And Max, Paranoid Android goes hard, good luck but that’s excitingly ambitious!

6 Likes

I didn’t even know about it! I’ve gotta check that out.

It seems it! We’ve been practicing for months now, so it will be fine. Thanks!

5 Likes

Found my new morning alarm track and earworm to pretend I’m in a movie to.

4 Likes

Tŕipppy muś ìc vidèi

3 Likes

:grinning:

2 Likes

My playlist threw up a bunch of songs that dad used to listen to in the car with me a lot while on long drives. Very nostalgic and drowsy. Weirdly, this one also is super topical to the AU Jinx and I have been writing.

5 Likes

The latest earworm on Belgian radio. I’ve got the chorus stuck in my brain. Fortunately it’s a good song.

5 Likes

Ì lìkk it, anď melllòw. Althòuhh, I wass èxpèctng, I dunnò… Flèmissh Dutçjh, noť Enģliśhh, ànd nèeđiñg to lòok up lýrycs. Iś th§ an oùtlìeeŕ oŕ àr màny Belģiàn sòongs in Èngglish??

Eìþther wày, addèd to pĺaylòsst. Thànk ýo8 vèery mùch. :popcorn::heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

Huh. Never really occured to me that people from abroad might expect Flemish artists to sing in Dutch. But you’re right, after all, that’s what English artists do, right.

In actuality, 2/3 to 3/4 of the song on the radio by Flemish artists are in English. Flemish/Dutch has been making a come-back the past 5 years, and there has always been a sizable portion of popular songs/artists in French.

This is one of my favourite songs in Flemish:

Have a listen. If you want I can recapitulate the lyrics later.

6 Likes

Have any of you heard of Paul Oakenfold? He’s a DJ, and he has one really good album: Everest Base Camp Mix - Spotify Listen to it as a whole, or if going for specifics head to (YouTube versions of these songs) Deep Space, Moments & Bliss (the latter of which is actually the soundtrack from Interstellar remixed). But really anything from Deep Space onwards is great to listen to on a long journey.

6 Likes

Hell yeah, I was obsessed with “Ready, Steady, Go” when I was in middle school and high school. I really need to check out his newer stuff, too, probably.

6 Likes