What are you listening to?

:+1:

2 Likes

Not music, but drama: the last thing I listened to was Earthsearch, a BBC science fiction radio series from the early 80s which, curiously, I’d never heard of before, despite BBC Science Fiction series of the early 80s being exactly my kind of thing. It’s by moderately well known sci-fi author James Follett, made to the usual bulletproof BBC radio production standards (the presence of the Radiophonic Workshop looming large throughout) and stuffed with tropes (evil AI, degenerate technology-worshiping post-holocaust humanity, etc). Well worth a listen to this and also its sequel, the imaginatively titled Earthsearch II:

3 Likes

Lisa Germano - Geek The Girl
Cocteau Twins - Lullabies to Violaine, Volume 1

1 Like

Okay so I remembered this music video that I last saw maybe…a decade ago?

Anyway, I really love airplanes and started wondering what aircraft are being featured, especially because I have been learning military aircraft in recent years (as a kid I focused on civilian aircraft).

As I’ve been known to say: SPECIAL INTEREST ACTIVATED

Autistic Aircraft Ramblings

Anyway, encoded in potato-level old-YouTube quality is a close-range air dogfight. No guns, just missiles; likely sidewinders (heat-seaking). It’s also important to know that the aircraft in the video do not seem to be using flight maneuvers, which would have really made a difference, but I’ll get around to that shortly.

Anyway, I first identified F-18 Hornets getting wiped by Harriers.

Now, uh…those of you who know these aircraft might be raising eyebrows. For the rest, I’ll explain in a moment.

Anyway, I thought this was a really weird combination of aircraft to put in the video. Assuming the director or VFX team just picked random aircraft, then this is a very weird selection. If the people involved in this did not have a prior interest in military aircraft, then I’d expect the F-16 Falcon/Viper or the F-14 Tomcat facing off against a MiG-29 or something. Like, something the crowds would know from movies.

But if we assume there was intent behind this selection, then it gets really hilarious.

So, I pull out my tome of aircraft to double-check my identifications.

Now, first of all, the aircraft parked in the hangar is a red herring. Actually, it’s a Sepecat Jaguar. (90% certain)

I saw the Cyrillic on the side and assumed one of the aircraft in the fight was Russian. I was wrong.

Now we confirm the attackers are in Harriers.

The Harrier is a…uh…quirky little plane. It’s sorta constructed with the shape of a civilian plane, which makes it really stable, but also makes it fight the pilot every moment a maneuver is necessary. It really likes to stall. Also, the guns don’t work when you aim up or down too far, but this wasn’t a guns fight, so that’s more of a bonus fun fact! :grin:

(Remember this for later!)

Next, we identify the defenders. Again, I spotted Hornets, but that would be absolutely insane. However…it would also be strange to pick this plane at random, too.

Above all, though, picking this plane intentionally to lose against a Harrier is really funny, and I am cackling if there was an educated selection here.

Why?

The Hornet is one of the more terrifying, high-velocity, turn-on-a-dime, 4.5-gen, close-range, missile-throwing dogfighters out there. It’s infamously capable of gaining missile lock-on within an extremely wide angle.

Now, remember how I mentioned earlier that this was a missile fight without any real flight maneuvers? This is probably the most ridiculous part of the video, and the only reason why it works. The Hornet pilots would have to be unconscious. At any moment, the Hornet would normally out-maneuver the Harrier immediately and get a missile off.

If there was intent here, then the director is aiming to create the wildest underdog story possible, and I absolutely love it for how ridiculous it is.

However, I needed to be sure!

So I looked it up.

And, uh…that’s our bandit, alright! :rofl:

Absolutely ridiculous!
Unbelievable!
Perhaps obscene!
And I love everything about it!

7 Likes

I recently watched A Tourist’s Guide to Love. Dropped it halfway. It was horrible and clichè, which was a shame because I loved the premise of it (minus the romance part). At least I got some good songs out of it (debatable to everyone else, because I have strange taste in media).

Here’s another cheesy (so it seems, again, to everyone else but me) song I’ve been playing today.

3 Likes

@DeusIrae @rileypb

I am very fortunate to have gotten to see the reunited incarnations of both the Replacements and Big Star. Both amazing shows!

1 Like

If you liked the TAMI Show, you might also be interested in The Big TNT Show with Ray Charles, Petula Clark, The Lovin’ Spoonful, Bo Diddley, Joan Baez, the Ronettes, Roger Miller, the Byrds, Donovan, and Ike & Tina Turner.

2 Likes

Wow, such an assembly of musicians I love! Ok, I don’t know The Ronettes and Roger Miller.

1 Like

@Cody_Gaisser
I haven’t thought about Roger Miller for quite a while… he’s the reason I absolutely love Disney’s Robin Hood.

I miss hearing real voices in music these days. Great recommendation with the TNT Show!

2 Likes

You’ve probably heard them both without knowing it, and - if not - you’re in for a treat!

3 Likes

Oh, I grew up loving this movie with no clue who Roger Miller was. One time I was on tour and the artist I was touring with had a Best Of type compilation in the van, he played it while driving one time and my jaw was on the floor the whole time that someone could write songs like that and also perform them with so much personality!

1 Like

Ah, yes I know “Be my baby”: It’s lovely!

I don’t recognize “Do Wacka Do” though and personally I don’t feel it’s great. His voice reminds me of Johnny Cash, but I think that’s a wrong impression by me, probably because it’s both about country guitar men.

2 Likes

@Pebblerubble

King of the Road was probably his most popular song.

Yeah definitely, a little Johnny Cash going on there with some of his other songs. I can hear it too. Not too many can pull off the sing/talk style of those two.

2 Likes

Ah, the Ronettes with Ronnie Spector. The same Ronnie in Eddie Money’s song:

3 Likes

I find that there are certain songs that act as gateway drugs to other genres of music. For those who have more eclectic tastes, this is like striking gold. A lot of times, it comes from listening to an artist in a familiar genre push the boundaries of their own realm.

For me, my foray into the horribly grating, screaming death metal sound that annoys the majority of the population was when I heard…

Al the Killer - Coheed and Cambria

Now I can’t get enough of the soft, velvety serenade of Gojira. Who knew? :wink:

Curious, does anyone else here have a gateway song of their own to share? Like how does one go from rock to rap? Or death metal to country?

3 Likes

So it was a kind of music I was already making at the time (I wasn’t as growly back then, but definitely leaned harder into distortion), but The Last Firstborn was the first time where I heard someone else shamelessly fuse metal and rave music. It definitely helped a lot with my confidence.

Meanwhile, MF Doom and Rage Against the Machine both got me into hip-hop. It wasn’t any song in particular; I just put on two albums, selected kinda at random: The Battle Of Los Angeles and Super What?, and really enjoyed it.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, also: I found this album recently. I am absolutely in love with it.

Never heard of this artist before. The song FEEL NOTHING came up at random, and I checked out the rest of the album to confirm that the rest of the songs are just as amazing.

It’s like someone figured out what sounds and elements I enjoy in metal and electronic music, and optimized an entire album around it.

3 Likes

I grew up on the musings of Leonard Cohen, Guido Belcanto, Jacques Brel. The folk sounds of Van Morrison, Martin Carthy, Joni Mitchell. The rock’n’roll of Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen, Creedence Clearwater Revival.

I had a brief but intense Michael Jackson period.

I went along with those, no generation conflict, because my parents liked Rage Against The Machine and Nirvana and Pearl Jam too. An organic line…ù

There were those kids around me who were dancing to that mechanical sound.
That wasn’t real music.

And then The Prodigy happened.

I’m now a listener of mostly Jazz (yes, capitalised), and jazz Funk (yes, again, see below), but I believe it was that album, Music for the Jilted that helped me spread my wings.

Me at 10:

Me at 15:

Me at 16:

Me at 18:

Now a lot of those previous influences com together:

Me at 21:

Me at 25

….….…

(Btw, It’s all jazz?)

Me at 27:

Me at 30:

Me now:

Me always:

And all of those and many more will be forever here. I still play and listen to their full albums.

8 Likes

YESSSSSSSSS

I found The Prodigy because I was trying to find music that was really similar to the soundtrack of AquaNox.

I left out the headbang-hardcore metal and the brainbang-hardcore neurofunk because those feel more like side-steps.

Speaking of brainbang dnb: did you know about this one? (I don’t know if you’re a dancer, but whenever I hear this I’m shaking hopping bopping stomping… especially when the drum doubles up and retreats at the same time . Luckily my best friend’s a dnb DJ…)

2 Likes