Werner's Quest Revisited

In an effort to teach myself ZIL I have converted a game a friend of my wrote during the 80s - “Werner’s Quest”. The game is originally written in the Quill Adventure System for C64. The original source is to my knowledge no longer availible so to convert it I took a memory dump from a C64 emulator (VICE) and put that through Unquill. This produced a ZXML-file with all descriptions and definitions of the games.

Werner’s Quest is a series of four games that are loose parodies of Zork I-III & Enchanter. There’s lost of references to other games too and especially to Frank Zappa. The games are:

1. The Black Ladder
  2. Revenge of the Thing-Fish
  3. Rance the Dungeonkeeper
  4. Unchanter

The games comes in two modes, classic and modern (switchable in game). The big difference is that the modern version contains hints (InvisiClues style).

To play the games you only need the Z5-files (located in the different bin-folders) and the z-machine emulator of your choice. But all the source-code is available for those who are interested. This is my first effort in ZIL and I’m aware that my code is not especially “LISPy” in the formatting. Be forgiving!

The whole thing is at: https://github.com/heasm66/Werners-Quest-Revisited

Enjoy!

7 Likes

How do I ring the doorbell in The Black Ladder?

KNOCK ON DOOR

Yes, it’s that kind of game!

(Try the hints by typing ‘HINT’ or ‘HELP’).

1 Like

Edited all entries in IFDB and added link to this versions. All games are now playable online in parchment. The in-game help system doesn’t work in parchment, but that is probably related to this issue that hopefully will be fixed pretty soon.

Links to IFDB-entries:
1. The Black Ladder
2. Revenge of the Thing-Fish
3. Rance the Dungeonkeeper
4. Unchanter

1 Like