Were the Mayans really WRONG? - Andromeda Legacy Comp 20

I feel bad about hijacking the thread further. Jacek, I will answer you - privately.

I guess the real problem with us is that sometimes we fall into believing he really wants conversation and not the regular trolling. But it is not like that. Never. He’s always trolling, using interesting arguments to lure us. You know the quote from The Exorcist: “he will mix truth with lies to confuse you.”

The most useful trick is not listening. There is no other way around this.

This community is so big, though, that he will always find someone who momentarily forgets this and he will always get an answer. So, banning is maybe the option.

Yay! Joey and Paul! We have a jury, then.

Okay, it’s done - his account has been banned. I’m reluctant to delete posts of his, if only because then the resulting replies won’t make any sense, but if enough people feel otherwise, we can do that too.

You can keep them, here. If I don’t get enough authors for the comp, i can blame him. [emote]:)[/emote]

Yes - justice at last. Or a kind of justice anyway.

Maybe all the Pudlo-related posts in this thread - including my own - should be deleted now we’re finally rid of him. I don’t think it’s fair to leave them in place when they’re nothing to do with the subject in question.

Now that I’ve thought about it, I prefer Erik’s idea – move them to a separate thread and lock it. (I’m the one who wants everything archived, after all. :slight_smile:

Hey, I was sorting my collection out and I kinda hit upon a little snag.

James, as the author of the first game of the series, how would you describe the current form games in terms of “sequel” and “number in series”? Is “Andromeda Dreaming” the sequel to “Awakening”? Or a sort of “Andromeda 1b” while Apocalypse is “Andromeda 2”? Do you fully absorb the games from your previous comp, and from this upcoming one, into your series, or do you just lend the setting much as Zork lent it to “Balances” and Meter, Stone and Sherbet?

That is an interesting question.

Trying not to sound too snobbish, I would say that games by me are the main stories, forming a trilogy (maybe, someday), while games by others are “side-quests”. So, the sequel to Awakening is Apocalypse, in my head.

Tree and Star Awakening Dreaming | Apocalypse

For the (hopefully) upcoming games, I would like to keep it at this. Ofc, I would also like the games on the canon to be “in the canon”, so you are not disallowed to make Earth2 like in DCComics or similar things (let’s imagine a What If? game: “What if Ektor Mastiff didn’t activate the Hyerotropes on Monarch?”) but those games won’t fit the canon so they will be considered “out of this world”.

I see where this is coming from, as Dreaming is stated as a sequel to Awakening in IFDB.
My thought, anyway, is not that much important. We can assume Tree and Star is a prequel, and Apocalypse a sequel to Dreaming. To be very-very-very honest, I’m thinking about something for the fate of Aliss (if Joey consents) and of people from the Godspeed (if Paul consents) that will make Andromeda 3 a blast. I think I will discuss this with them, when I’m done with the project I’m following these days.

Right-o. I’ll have a think as to how I should sort them out in my collection. [emote]:)[/emote] Probably just date-of-release and lump them all into a big series and be done with it. Just wanted to check with the guy who, you know, actually created the whole shebang.

I guess you should say that Awakening is the first game to be played, and Apocalypse the last, up to now.

Another really classy thing you could do is… entering the comp. [emote];)[/emote]

Oh, you tease, you.

I look forward to that conversation! [emote]:D[/emote]

I will be ready to judge by deadline time, so please let me join the wise council once again, Marco.

I hope we don’t end up with more judges than entrants, but I can guarantee this year that I will have time to judge, but not to create (an Andromeda) game!

• Wade

Good. Now, I second your hopes.

So, just to make sure…‘what if’ games must be clearly labeled as such?

And also, it seems like a good game would have different endings–would you expect alternate endings to be labeled as ‘failures’?

For instance, say you are Uncle Oren as a young professor. Would it be okay/encouraged to have a possible ending where you decide to take a deanship at a new university and thus not meet Andy and Ektor? If so, should the ending be definitively labeled as not doing what you really want to do? (e.g. any “bad” ending that destroys continuity must be labeled as such.)

First things first: i think you are worrying too much.

Games will be judged on actual fun/literary merits, not if they are in canon or not. At least, not that much to count.

A good game can have just one straightforward ending. It still can win a Comp. Apocalypse had only one (and quite predictable).

To answer you question: Any finale that would involve Oren not being Ektor’s mentor would mean a “what if”. That is not necessarily a non-canon finale. It’s just a what if.

And: you don’t have to label your game anything: that will be my duty [emote]:)[/emote]

Shall I take this as an INTENT TO ENTER? [emote]:P[/emote]

Well, the intent to do something is there, but it doesn’t have the critical mass to intend to enter. I’ll see.

The thing is, I just want to make sure I’m not stepping over any boundaries here and your responses seem to indicate you’ll be very flexible with whatever we choose to do, as long as we don’t do something silly.

If there are enough ideas, and they link well enough, I think it’d be good. I’d also be willing to swap betas with other authors, as I’m not really interested in the $$ so much as making this something neat.

People!
The Apocalypse is waiting!

There is still a couple of weeks before the deadline for intents to enter.
WE WANT YOU!

Mail me or PM me. Did I mention the games can be done in WHATEVER authoring system?

(Well, as long at is playable on a Mac!)

What you need is a Lord Kitchener poster!

“The Andromeda Legacy Needs You!”.

That should do the trick! [emote]:lol:[/emote]