Web Inform10 with Graphics

Here’s P.B. Parjeter’s SpringThing2022 Bigfoot Bluff compiled for the web using the StrandIF web front end.

click here

Two additional pictures have been added experimentally; the player and the “figure”.

NB: save/restore/restart not implemented. It would need support from Inform/C, and then some.

This was done using Inform “C” format output.

../inform7/Tangled/inform7 -format=C/no-main/symbols-header -release bluff.i7

Then transpiled to WASM with emscripten.

4 Likes

Thanks, this is a pleasant surprise!

Unfortunately the page seems to hang on my computer and freeze the entire browser.

Maybe my computer is just wearing out, since I am having similar problems with certain web apps too…do you know if StrandIF is particularly RAM-intensive?

I’m glad you like it!

I added a couple of test pictures, x me and x bigfoot. These are easy to add to the game, “the strand way”;

all you do is put the name of the image somewhere in your text at the point you wish to show it and bingo! it appears.

eg;

The description of the player is "You are a Bigfoot standing about eight feet tall. You can do pretty much everything a human can do, plus you can easily carry your entire inventory over one shoulder. images/sashquatch2.webp"

I could add sounds the same way.

Regarding runtime resources, ah yes…

Over here it’s running in Firefox totalling about 300MB RAM and 5% CPU. Compared to, say Google News, which is 0.3% and 420MB. So, it looks like it’s a bit more CPU demanding.

One of the problems i encountered is that Inform converts a story into a monolithic C source file. ie bluff.i7 → bluff.c. where bluff.i7 is 152k, while bluff.c is 16MB (yes 16 megabytes)!

I really hope there’s a plan to break the C output into separate files, this would really help. I think also there’s a lot that can be simplified too (I’m looking at you i7_initialiser).

So, unfortunately, the consequence of a huge C file, is a huge web file! Currently around 5.2MB. I managed to get this down from 7MB.

So it’s early days, and i think this sort of thing will only get better.

1 Like