Was Mac 6G60 compiler version bug ever resolved?

I sent a report and the source code of a very large game to the Bug site over 6 months ago
and never got a definitive answer if they found the problem or not.

The Mac version of the compiler was giving the “Translating the Source Failed” message
while the Windows version of the compiler compiled cleanly.

I have a new game now which is even larger than the one I submitted to the bug site before.

here are the stats on it:

This is the report produced by Inform 7 (build 6G60) on its most recent run through:
The 279033-word source text has successfully been translated into a world with
551 rooms and 1559 things, and the index has been brought up to date.

use MAX_ARRAYS of 2000,MAX_CLASSES of 300,MAX_OBJECTS of 3000,
MAX_VERBSPACE of 6144, MAX_VERBS of 500,MAX_ACTIONS of 900,
MAX_OBJ_PROP_COUNT of 150,MAX_LABELS of 20000,
MAX_ZCODE_SIZE of 200000,MAX_STATIC_DATA of 2750000,
MAX_SYMBOLS of 70000,MAX_LINESPACE of 20000,MAX_DICT_ENTRIES of 3500,
MAX_NUM_STATIC_STRINGS of 30000,MAX_PROP_TABLE_SIZE of 1750000,
MAX_INDIV_PROP_TABLE_SIZE of 45000 and ALLOC_CHUNK_SIZE of 32768.

I’m wondering if the size of the source code has any effect on the Mac Compiler or not.

What was the bug number? I can’t seem to find the report you’re talking about.

I’ll have to go back and check the bugs site and I’ll post the number shortly.

OK the number was 0000758. A number of people including David Kinder and yourself
replied to the problem but I don’t know if it was ever fixed

Thanks.

I never saw your original error code, but if EmacsUser’s reduced test case is accurate, then we tracked it down to a bug in the I6 compiler. I submitted a patch and it should be fixed now. It will be picked up in the next I7 release.

(The bug is not Mac-specific, but as is typical, memory-overrun bugs are flaky and may crash or not depending on the machine’s specific memory arrangement.)

The bug is marked as resolved, so the next I7 release will fix it.

If you can’t wait for the next I7 release, and you’re comfortable building software, you could grab the latest I6 source code from https://github.com/DavidKinder/Inform6/tarball/master, build a new I6 and drop it into I7. (Since I don’t have a Mac I can’t be more precise about how to go about that.)

I don’t have the knowledge on doing that. I would hope that a new version will come out soon however.
It’s been over a year now since 6G60 was released. Thanks for the feedback.