Viv Dunstan’s 2023 Spring Thing & Autumnal Jumble impressions

Thank you for playing and reviewing; glad you enjoyed!

2 Likes

I still haven’t replayed. The ending I got was “bad”, but fitting for a game so spooky and disconcerting.

I was focused on the meat immediately, because I really wanted to befriend the giant horsefly. (Which would be another of those weird things to overhear on the train…)

1 Like

That’s me almost certainly played and reviewed all the games I’ll manage this competition. I got through 20. I had a few more that I was considering playing, but have now ruled out for various reasons. I also know that I won’t have time next week.

Thank you to all the authors who entered this year. Again I’m wowed by your creativity. Every single game that I play gives me ideas as an author. I especially love the games that give me new perspectives on issues, or challenge my expectations.

If I was to pick up on specific points I’d say make your stories strong and grab the reader from the word go. Put a deliberate emphasis on interactivity. And make your pieces user friendly, including hints and walkthroughs where appropriate. Try to make your games accessible to all comers, including on visual grounds. Another point that’s really important for me is adequate playtesting. I’ve been delighted this year to see so many games have had impressive numbers of playtesters. Oh and think enough about the ending. Is there any after game text that might be nice for the player to read then? What about your thoughts on writing it. Don’t let your game end too abruptly.

Anyway thank you so much to all of you! I will now have to go ponder my ribbons :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

14 Likes

I just had an afternoon tea break with my husband, and started to explain this puzzle to him. And he just looked at me like I was absolutely bonkers with the words I was coming out with :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: And he is a long time player of IF as well, and knows what I’m like!

6 Likes

My girlfriend (who doesn’t get the appeal of IF at all) has this special indulging smile she gets when I’m enthusiastically telling her about the fire-resistant bucket I had to fill in the dragon’s lava pool to melt the chains on the portcullis so I could enter the wizard’s castle. (Or some such puzzle.)

7 Likes

Thanks so much for all your hard work, Viv! The reviewers make the comp just as much as the authors do.

Good luck with your ribbon pondering!

3 Likes

That’s my ribbon nominations in (though had a slight hiccup with the confirmation email not coming through - emailed @mathbrush). Enjoyed looking back through the games I’d played and pondering ribbons! Also “Best in Show” wasn’t as straightforward a choice as I expected.

Thanks again to all. I look forward to reading more reviews by folks, and look forward to seeing the competition results. Remember to anyone else judging out there you still have most of a week left, so if you have time enjoy some more games. I’m neurologically flaring though, so pleased to call it a day now. And I reckon 20/26 games is very good going considering!

11 Likes

Thank you, just checked and it looks like you were confirmed, but the confirmation failed to deliver (you are the only one this has happened for so far, in case anyone else is reading and is worried). Thank you for your nominations, I’m sure the authors will be pleased!

7 Likes

The Ribbons are the best part of Spring Thing. They make it worth sludging through the pile of games.

I’ve thought up Ribbons for all the games I played/tested. I do think I’ll scrape my back against the deadline before submitting them though. Still more games calling me…

10 Likes

All of my reviews have now been added to IFDB, with only slight tweaks where appropriate. I have also included ratings on the 1-5 IFDB scale. Thanks to all the authors!

9 Likes