Vimform7 - An Inform7 IDE in your Linux terminal

It’s not hello world, but this is what I always used when I was setting up I6 syntax highlighting in other editors.

http://ifarchive.org/if-archive/infocom/compilers/inform6/examples/Alice3.inf

1 Like

@DavidG - I thought I was replying to you but think I replied to the thread :smile: … This reply was actually for you:

Can you help me with the command lines you would issue to compile it too? Also, where do you get your I6 compiler from? Sorry for all the questions, I really have not done anything with I6!

Sorry. I’m at work and don’t have time to check the docs for the command line stuff. Someone else might know though. Plus the compiler comes with a pretty thorough list if you use the command line help with -h or whatever.

This where I get the compiler from. There’s a lot of different system supported.

http://ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archive/infocom/compilers/inform6/executables/

Edit:
Oh. It’s probably worth mentioning that the compiler doesn’t come with the standard library that’s required to compile every game. You can get that here:

http://ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archive/infocom/compilers/inform6/library/

1 Like

This probably belongs on GitHub, but I’ll post it here for now. If I put more work into it myself I’ll submit a pull request, @interactivefiction.

The vimform7-open-prj.sh script works nicely with gvim if you run it from the command line, but there is no provided method for changing the default to gvim for the desktop icon.
I tried simply adding the -g option to the desktop entry, but the exit_script() function in script may be interfering; my attempt to modify that script did not allow a desktop entry to open gvim for the project and I had to make my own (hooray for AppEditor for making this easy).

I think the easiest way to remedy this small issue is to create another function that specifies the desktop entry, or an additional entry for gvim, which has a different Exec key. My tinkering with the script didn’t yield any results, but did lead to the separate desktop entry.

My other idea is for the script to remove the default desktop entry and create one for the specified project when the user uses the -f argument. This will allow the project to be opened from the desktop as it is now, but will not unnecessarily run the script to read in the variables which will be constant from the perspective of the desktop entry. If the user wants to change the desktop entry, they currently need to run the script from the command line to change the project folder, so this isn’t a change from the current UX.

I’m just getting started with actually using the tool, but I think this is a great project and it’s very welcome. The time I spent tinkering with the Flatpak and the source files for Gnome Inform7 didn’t produce any results (I know BASH, not Cxx), so this is really great!

Thanks, @interactivefiction.

P.S.: I enjoy that you listen to industrial music (such as Skinny Puppy and Sister Machine Gun); my current IF project takes a lot of inspiration from such.

:grinning: i was waiting for someone to try out gvim! I actually ran into the issue you mention too.

One reason I did not formally say that gvim is supported is because I ran into some basic issues with the colors used in gvim for text / background. I could not get it to be consistent in my test environment. I would appreciate it if you could add a feature request on the github so we can track the request for gvim. Also, if you come up with a workable solution, I am happy to merge via a git pull request. Adding a second desktop entry for gvim seems like the least effort. If you can share your work, I would make a new icon for it on my side and add a little green G to the V7 icon to differentiate it so it can be included in the main line for everyone.

A fellow music lover, that is awsome! Skinny Puppy is one of my favorites. Frontline Assembly is probably second in line. :sunglasses:

If you’re not familiar with Chemlab, I recommend it.

1 Like

Well, I’ve done the work to get a desktop shortcut modified by the script when you launch open-prj with g. I’m not sure how popular GVim is within the community here, but I imagine it might be a little more easy to onboard with for those who spend a lot of time in the Gnome-Inform7 IDE or another graphical text editor when they’re writing their Inform code (I know Atom has some good syntax highlighting for Inform, last I checked).

Becasue it’s pretty, I wanted something similar in Spacemacs (even though I only began using it half-way through implementing the GVim stuff). If there is enough interest, I may take advantage of the work that’s already been done to create a similar project for Spacemacs as a package or layer (I’m still learning what those really are).

[A screenshot of Spacemacs, poorly configured to run similarly to Vimform7; an SVG of the Spacemacs logo is overlaid in empty space within the captured window.]

2 Likes

Very cool! I say just go for it, document it, and put it out there and then let the forum know it exists :grin:

Although, you do know what they say about emacs right? :thinking:

Hi Everyone, just a heads up, if you want to give cryo’s gvim mods a try pull the latest vimform7 build bundle and install version Vimform7-07-26-2020-172432.tar.xz from the bundle. If you have issues / feedback feel free to post it here or on the github. Many thanks to @cryo for the mod!!

FWIW: It appears you can download @cryo’s mod directly from the link above too if you dont want the whole bundle of recent builds.

I might, but what is commonly said of it?

1 Like

I am sure they cover it in that wiki :wink:

1 Like

One suggestion would be to have a list of the the various scripts at hand in a more convenient fashion. For example, typing vimform7 from the command line simply gives a command not found error. Perhaps, instead, the command could display a list of scripts and a few simple instructions, for example:

Here are the available scripts (for help, use the script's -h option for more options):
a) To create a new storyin the current directory:
     vimform7-create-prj.sh  -n=story
b) To edit an existing story in the Projects/Vimform directory:
    vimform7-open-prj.sh  -f="Projects/Vimform/story.inform"
c) To install an extension:
     vimform7-manage-extension-sh -e="extension.i7x"

The vimform7 shortcut listed under Games opens the most recently edited story.

Online documentation: https://interactivefiction.github.io/vimform7

So far, what I’ve seen (mostly online documentation, as I just installed it perhaps an hour ago), it’s impressive. Looking forward to heavier use soon.

2 Likes

That is a great suggestion @evc003 :grinning: !! I appreciate the feedback and will add this to the feature request list for the project on git hub. I am working on getting a new archive posted in my free time that includes some basic fixes and will try to add a vimform helper script to the package.

1 Like