Video series on Interactive Fiction (Episode 3: Counterfeit Monkey)

The advice I got for German “ü” (if you’re American) (this was singing class) was to make with your lips like you’re going to say “oo”, but sneakily say “ee” instead.

3 Likes

Appreciate you taking my mild criticism with good spirits! I fully understand what it’s like being a non-native speaker of a language, so don’t stress too much about pronunciation issues. And god knows nobody can write German words in English phonetics :stuck_out_tongue:

If I may, I recommend watching the last two seasons of Downton Abbey, in which a very British lord similar to Fogg hires himself a valet not too unlike Passeportout, an older man almost his own age, in order to get the spirit of what that relationship was like.

After going to Gutenberg and scanning the text of the original book, I do indeed see that there are 132 mentions of the word “master” (all of which, as far as I can tell, refer to Fogg) and zero of “employer,” so I stand fully corrected in this matter!

1 Like

And what about the game or the video itself?

1 Like

Hello everyone,

It took me ages, but here is the 3rd episode, on Counterfeit Monkey:

7 Likes

It is cool, I was waiting for anothes video ansd furthermore it is about a game that I have finished short time ago.
A very, very funny, well done video about this gigant top notch game. I like the background program so much and the references to the game I have played a couple month ago. Furthermore I have undestood all you speaking quite well (I am from spain).

• Jade.
2 Likes

Lovely podcast! I’ve never played the game, though, so who is the “monkey”? The player?

3 Likes

Haha, no. It’s a location, actually a bar named “The Counterfeit Monkey.”

4 Likes

It’s “a game of word manipulation”. With a letter remover you might be able to turn Counterfeit Monkey into counterfeit money, like the money on the cover art. I’ve not finished the game so don’t know whether this is a spoiler or not! I want to play it again now… and will watch the video afterwards.

4 Likes

I think when you examine the letter remover, it says something about not functioning with very large things. I haven’t tried the specific removal though.

2 Likes

I won’t have time for a while to play the game, and I’ve lost my map and notes… so peeked at the story file

The garish sign is part of counterfeit-monkey-exterior. It is a sign. The description is "In the picture, a villainous man threatens a cage full of tiny primates with a primitive Victorian letter-remover. In the background is an enormous bag of cash."
	The printed name of the garish sign is "sign".

Check waving the letter-remover at garish sign when the current setting of the letter-remover is "k":
	say "We try to K-remove the monkey on the sign, but at this distance and in this wind, it's a difficult bit of targeting, and we fail." instead.

Check waving the letter-remover at the counterfeit-monkey-exterior when the current setting of the letter-remover is "k":
	say "Turning the entire pub into a heap of fake bills would be spectacular, but would not really advance our cause." instead.
3 Likes

wow, I haven’t actually read the story file. You just got me hooked.

2 Likes

It should be noted that the current Github source has lost a lot of the beauty of Emily Short’s original code, which can still be found here.

4 Likes

I have all the savegames for the game. If you want to try please pm me.

Was this due to debugging?

Not really. Most of the changes were made for performance reasons.

1 Like

I suspect Emily Short, being the author of many of the I7 documentation examples, probably commented the original code amazingly, and as the code was polished by other authors this may not have continued.

1 Like

Also, the original single-file story format makes for pleasant e-book-like navigation and reading. This broke when the source was cut up into separate files that can be viewed on Github.

But most of all lots of pretty, readable and well-commented Inform 7 code was replaced by ugly Inform 6 in order to make it faster.

5 Likes

If it helps at all the following is from the intro blurb for the game on IFDB:

Playing as Phileas Fogg’s loyal valet, Passepartout, you must balance your master’s health, your finances, and the time, as you choose your own path from city to city all the way around the world.

2 Likes

Ooh, a letter remover puzzle. Love it. I had a letter insertion puzzle in ‘Igor’s Quest’ inspired by the T-remover in ‘Leather Goddesses of Phobos’. I’ve never laughed so hard as when I first worked out how to use it and turned the rabbit into a rabbi.

3 Likes

I thought the same thing when I played Counterfeit Monkey - like Emily went “I love this T-remover puzzle, and want an entire game that focuses on that but on steroids!”

3 Likes