Victor's Variomatic #1: "Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish ..."

I also suspect that robots removed his body, which may be why no one knew about his death. It was specifically mentioned at some point that the spiral ramp up to the second level was built to accommodate robots. And you have to suspect that the facility itself is much larger than the portion we see. After all, there are several dead bodies in that morgue (all incongruously labelled as "Doe"s.) This might have something to do with Taylor’s research? Maybe the robots were reprogrammed to dispose of test subjects quietly and anonymously? Interesting how vague it’s left.

I think I actually had more fun trying to piece together a cohesive narrative from the extant clues than I did actually playing through the game.

Replayed the game. It’s still unclear to me

[spoiler]why we apparently time-traveled upon the initial jump into some point before the experiment was to happen. Was our consciousness split between our own body and Kurner’s at that point? If not, what consciousness inhabited our body?

And when we jump into the fish, apparently that’s going back in time too, to before the squid attack?

I like the writing, but the plot is…hard to follow.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

There was some mention somewhere of the experiment using four dimensions and thus being able to transport in time, not just space. I don’t think there’s any split consciousness. You leave your body, go to Kurner’s, then to the fish, then back to your own body at the time just after you left it.

I don’t think you actually jump in time at all; you go straight to the fish you can see outside the window. But your sojourn at the fish ends when the squid blows up, killing the fish, which sends you back to your body at the moment you left it so that you can push the button that blows up the squid. It’s very circular (on purpose I suspect.)

Very true.[/spoiler]

Yes, very true.

I seem to remember that All Roads made more sense. We could play that in a future session of the Variomatic and see whether we can patch together a more coherent plot. :slight_smile:

Heroes and Deadline Enchanter are in the same “let’s try to figure out what happened in that game” vein, as is Shrapnel, though to a lesser extent. I seem to recall Mulldoon Legacy being a bit opaque as well, though that might have arisen from forgetting some of the plot details in the many, many hours it took to play the game.

If we’re gonna do another Ingold, I’ve been itching to try Make it Good.

I’ve recently finished Mulldoon. I can heartily, but heartily, recommend it. I wouldn’t call it opaque - but to get all of the plot proper quite a bit of exploration is in order (and no, I didn’t quite get the plot proper. Just enough for my enjoyment).