Updated I7 Handbook

I would be happy to receive a copy of the updated handbook and help to revise it (although I am not sure how much help I can be).

For the purposes of example only, the current version of your handbook as a (read only) Google Doc:

docs.google.com/document/d/1FsK … sp=sharing

It’s not perfect (something odd has happened to the page numbers and some of the formatting’s gone a little awry) but overall it’s workable.

Your results are identical to mine. It’s hosed. Not just the page numbers – scroll down until you see the first boxed sidebar. Google Doc is completely unable to deal with the code for producing a box. Also, in the .odt file the table of contents is dynamically linked to tags in the text. Whether that linkage would be preserved … I don’t even want to think about it.

No, I wouldn’t call this workable. Sorry. I imagine starting from scratch and writing up a document using GDoc tools might be more reliable – but why bother?

Best thing for google doc is to copy the text out and paste it into a new blank document.

Well, It’s not just text. The file in its present form contains dynamic cross-links to other sections of the Handbook. It also contains separate formatting for the code examples, a few decorative illustrations (admittedly, they’re stolen, but still…), and boxed sidebars. Also, the table of contents is dynamically linked to the pages where new sections start.

There’s really no reason why I should spend hours reformatting raw text after I stuff it into a Google Doc – if GDoc even allows dynamic linking to cross-references by page number.

If anyone wants to collaborate on the project, I’d be very happy to have you do so! The way to do this is by emailing .doc or .odt files back and forth and editing them with Track Changes switched on. This way, I can view all of your changes and then import them into the master file locally.

Cheers from a grateful newbie for all your work updating! I made an account just to say that. :slight_smile: