Upcoming IF Discussion Club events

RetroactiveComp: make a game that meets the requirements of as many past competitions as possible.

^Actual good idea. (I’m already retroactively entering ToasterComp.)

If you include Walkabout in travelcomp, does it count as also time travel? That’s gotta earn you bonus points.

Hmmm, someone should actually write the game that won first prize and enter it retroactively, claiming time travel. That would explain everything (for a given value of “everything”).

Does anyone know what it was about anymore, though? The site’s been down for a while, and there doesn’t seem to be a record of the page on the Wayback Machine.

Anyway, I was thinking more a comp where people wrote reviews of games that may or may not exist; call it Borges Comp, maybe?

I like it! :slight_smile:

There was a year when someone (Ryan Veeder, I think?) wrote reviews for IFComp games from a parallel dimension.

Wow, that TravelComp thread.

My favorite comment is when Magnus Olsson wrote, in 2001, in response to yet another name-calling flamewar brewing on RAIF:

So, when are we starting the Seltani walkabout tomorrow? (In both UTC and EST, if possible.)

8 PM UTC, 3 PM Eastern, noon Pacific.

We’re going to start by meeting in the central Seltani area (so just go to seltani.net, make an account or log in as a guest; from the ferry dock, choose “along the shoreline”, then “plaza”.)

If you come along later, we may be in one of the following places:

Korvichtav – seltani.net/portlink/54e8d5596b3d3005e547ec46
Caelios – seltani.net/portlink/54e8d7bd6b3d3005e547ec47
Catalavir - seltani.net/portlink/54e8d7ca6b3d3005e547ec48
Bluedorn – seltani.net/portlink/54e8d4706b3d3005e547ec43
Aspel – seltani.net/portlink/54e8d4946b3d3005e547ec45

…and the Seltani tour transcript is now up here: emshort.wordpress.com/if-discus … f-seltani/

Next Discussion Club is coming up on Saturday, March 21, at noon Pacific / 3 Eastern / 7 (rather than 8) London time (because the US has had a time change but the UK hasn’t yet). The topic is a discussion on the ParserComp games, so if you’ve got any thoughts on those or things you’d like to chew over with others, it’s a good time for that.

This will be the final Discussion Club meeting – Saturday evenings have always been a bit rocky for me to schedule, and they’re getting harder. If someone else feels inspired to do something in a similar vein, that’s cool; then again, we’ve perhaps just run our course. I’ll continue to host the existing transcripts, of course.

Thank you so much for hosting these over the last year, Emily! (To say nothing of all the work you put into organizing and annotating the transcripts.)

I know that I’ll agitate for an organized IFComp 2015 postmortem in eight months or so, even if I have to run it myself, because last year’s was awesome. (emshort.wordpress.com/if-discus … st-mortem/)

Thanks, jmac. :slight_smile:

Here’s the last transcript: emshort.wordpress.com/if-discuss … ostmortem/