Twine 2 - :: StoryMenu passage?

Hi all

Looking through the cookbook and examples for twine I see lots of references to special passages, such as StoryMenu.

In the examples these are shown as :: StoryMenu (etc) within the code.

However in Twine 2 (SugarCube 2.30) using :: StoryMenu (etc) just renders the text. If I create a passage and call it StoryMenu then it seems to work as planned.

I’m assuming this is by design due to a change somewhere since v1?

Olly

If you see the two colons in a row, that’s a reference to a special passage name as part of Twee. You don’t type those colons; they signal that the line is a name of a certain passage.

If you are seeing StoryMenu, the code is probably for Twine 1.4.2. Any example in the Twine Cookbook that is for older versions of Twine are marked at the top as such.

So if I’m seeing examples in twee, and I’m using Twine and pasting in to the UI based editor, where I see :: I just create a passage called whatever? Is that right.

That’s what I’m doing now, I just didn’t know if I was missing something.

If the TWEE Notation based (recipe) code you are looking contained a passage definition that looked something like the following.

:: StoryMenu
[[Check Inventory|Inventory]
[[Check Profile|Player]

Then you would cut-n-paste the …

[[Check Inventory|Inventory]
[[Check Profile|Player]

… TwineScript based code into a Passage named StoryMenu (note no double full-colons) within your project.