Tweaking Menus

So I am trying to tweak Emily Short’s extension “Menus” so that it will read a table that can only be accessed from within another table. This is what I have so far and it is working but there are some minor headaches. The line in the select rule that is commented out works but after you enter the second table, read a description and come back to the second tables title list the status bar will display the Deep Menu Status from the extension and try to overlay the parent table’s title description onto the “N” command instructions.

I have only tried this edit in a test game using a main menu with only one entry but without this line the status bar will only say instructions where the name of the table should be. Still working on this but thought I would throw it out there for suggestions.

This is the select rule: choose row current menu selection in the current menu; if there is a toggle entry: [now the current menu title is title entry;] now the current menu selection is 1; now the current menu is the Table of Everything; now the endnode flag is 1; redraw status line; clear only the main screen; show menu contents; otherwise: choose row current menu selection in the current menu; if there is a subtable entry: now the current menu title is title entry; now the current menu selection is 1; now the current menu is subtable entry; show menu contents; if there is a description entry: let the temporary title be the current menu title; now the current menu title is title entry; now the endnode flag is 1; redraw status line; now the endnode flag is 0; clear only the main screen; say "[variable letter spacing][description entry][paragraph break]"; pause the game; now the current menu title is temporary title; reprint the current menu.

Moving a copy of [variable letter spacing] to the front of the text in question ensures that this text will display in the same type as if it was displayed as a description in the table.

[code]Table of Whatever
title subtable description toggle
“[variable letter spacing]any text here” – -- history rule

Table of Everything
title subtable description toggle
“A” – “a” –
“B” – “b” –
“C” – “c” –
“D” – “d” –

This is the history rule:[this is just a place holder so the code will acknowledge the toggle as a flag]
now the current menu is the Table of Everything.[/code]

I think the part I neglected to mention is that I need to post the initial description of the main title before the the several parts associated with it are revealed.

I know that using subtables will call another menu but then I cannot display a general description prior to opening this new menu.

I think what I am going to do is revert back to the original deal using the subtable and just put the general description at the top of the new menu.