Trizbort (or other) maps for IFComp 2021

That’s my kind of map!

3 Likes

Well, I was actually thinking of a map, here, so I’m glad to see yours!

Also, the topic didn’t say it had to be for parser games, just to be clear.

So here’s my map of 4x4 Archipelago’s Coral City, which is fixed, though there’s a lot of procedural generation. What’s tricky and neat about this maze is that currents carry you in various directions until you reach the final room, and the game text clues you to that. The small “x” rooms indicate where, when and how this happens.

Even a blurry picture may spoil stuff.

Legend:

blue = treasure to dive for (1/2 covered = 1 survival needed, full = 2
yellow = treasure to just search for
orange=monuments (100 exp on examining)
green = normal room

I’m pretty sure other surface dungeons are procedurally generated, though there may be an exception for the Dragon’s Cave.

(Note: I uploaded a fixed version of the map.)

4 Likes

My game’s feelies include a map:

Aside:
Several games on the the ballot page say Download includes additional content , my game includes feelies but doesn’t have that text. Is there an obvious checkbox or something that I missed to make it appear?

5 Likes

Wow, thanks for drawing a map of Coral City, which is much better than the one I started to draw, intending to add it here!

Note that (major spoiler!) the map is missing one room - Island of the Gardens, in the NE corner. It’s only accessible once you’ve taken the crystal from Altar Island - this stops the currents, allowing you to simply navigate the area on a grid.

2 Likes

Glad it was useful/saved you time!

I was so proud of mapping and getting through it, I never considered investigating the text you spoiler-blurred. I saw it, but I just didn’t check up in the end. I’ll want to go back and look, now. I can probably edit the map pretty quickly–I noticed a flow that’s not quite right. (ETA: done!)

2 Likes

My game (we, the remainder) has a map within the game itself, which you get access to fairly early on. Still… about half of my playtesters missed it entirely.

5 Likes

Very nice! ASCII Art. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My game, D’Arkun, offers a map in the feelies, but you need a password. Don’t worry you get on the second day when you find the map as an item in the game (this is the time when the map extends). I just wanted to add some more atmosphere.

3 Likes

This isn’t a huge map, but I like all maps big and small. 4x4 Archipelago’s dragon cave is fixed between playthroughs.

I’m not spoiling what’s at the end. It was a very nice surprise for me (but it made sense) and was definitely worth fighting through the tough monsters.

5 Likes

Off-Season at the Dream Factory has two maps. The overworld has a few shifts after the start. I’ll be focused on the main game, here.

There’s also the dream side area.

4 Likes

Hey, that’s cool!

1 Like

The Library has only 12 rooms, but its left/right/back mechanic makes for a change in navigational style. Here is the map. The game starts as if you’d gone from Stevenson to Carroll.

I’m pretty sure you need at most 3 steps to get from any one room to any others. I should write a script to find out.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s a fun side-project when playing a game. Also a good form of notetaking.

That looks like one of the organic molecules I used to study…

1 Like

My game (“Cygnet Committee”) has a map that updates in real-time. There’s no point in saving it since it’s in the game itself, but maybe showing it here will persuade someone to play the game.

6 Likes

@pbparjeter that’s very well done and I like the line drawing against the color that gives a clear idea of where we can go.

I still feel like I am picking off the short games, myself, because I don’t have the endurance (yet) to tackle longer and possibly more profound ones. And my hope for this topic was to get maps for the longer games, so people would ease into them.

Anyway, now that I said that, I’m promptly making a u-turn to present a map of another relatively short game, What Remains of Me, which is relatively short.

1 Like

Map for Last Will and Testament, a sub-game inside RetroCon 2021.

3 Likes

There is a more colourful map for House on Highfield Lane here:

You may find Wade has drawn the two drawing rooms the wrong way. It depends…

2 Likes

Wabewalker map. May be more spoiler-ish than usual. I could add which panels have which lights in the future.

legend, slight spoilers again

red = death
grey = television
blue = mirror

3 Likes

The author requested I spoiler/detailify an actual Trizbort map of we, the remainder, and from how the game unfolds, that makes sense, because finding certain things is part of the game’s emotional impact. For those who want to find certain things on their own, I recommend the redacted map.

This is not as aesthetic as their cool ASCII map (also in-game,) but I hope it adds value to this thread.

we, the remainder trizbort map with critical notation redacted
we, the remainder trizbort map

Legend:

Orange = woman Mystery
red = memories (Grove isn’t an official one but kicks you back immediately, and you can’t return)

3 Likes