Trizbort on Linux

UPDATE: I’ve solved the problem. The solution for me was using the windows version of Mono inside Wine. Using native .NET in wine did not work for me; it couldn’t draw the toolbar. Using the windows mono, I still get a few ui bugs in the menus, and it’s not as pretty as the native linux mono, but it works and no functionality is lost. :slight_smile:

Trizbort seems to be just what I need to make nice looking maps intuitively. On the site, it says that people have managed to run it just fine on Mono, but I’m running into some problems.

As you can see, I’ve got a few UI bugs that really break almost all of the functionality of the program. I’m not getting any text to display on the map. Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution?

For the benefit of posterity (i.e., myself and those who come after me), here’s how I got Trizbort to work on Ubuntu 10.10 after much trial and error:

$ sudo apt-get install wine1.3
$ wget http://download.mono-project.com/archive/2.8/windows-installer/9/mono-2.8-gtksharp-2.12.10-win32-9.exe
$ wine ./mono-2.8-gtksharp-2.12.10-win32-9.exe
(click through all the installer prompts)
$ wine ./Trizbort.exe

In this context, “sudo apt-get install mono-complete” seems to be a total red herring. The “mono-complete” Ubuntu package is useful only for running Ubuntu programs that for some godawful reason have decided to write themselves in C# instead of a proper *nixy language. It doesn’t help for running Windows programs.

Notice that it still has some graphics bugs, but at least you can see the text on the rooms.