trig warnings

I decided to go looking for what research is actually out there. Google Scholar’s top hits are a lot of opinion-heavy pieces from Higher Ed magazines, so I skipped those as I was looking for actual research.

I didn’t find a lot? But I did find this amazing journal article.

Teaching with Trauma: Trigger Warnings, Feminism, and Disability Pedagogy

Abstract:

I’m tired and it’s late so for now I’m just going to say, I think this is the best take I could possibly imagine on the issue. It’s in the context of TWs in higher ed, but I think we can pretty easily extend it here. It emphasizes the real need to accommodate non-neurotypical people in the classroom, and that for some TWs are a very real necessity. It also acknowledges the danger of replacing “trauma” with “injury / insult” - but then reminds us that the institutions of power being found “offensive” are sources of real trauma, both direct and generational. Therefore the overlap between the two issues makes it necessary to consider both systems of power and oppression (misogyny, racism, class discrimination, etc) as well as issues of access for those with PTSD, as well as the effects of ableist attitudes as a whole.

So, yeah, I think TWs for things that might be triggering are fine, and content warnings for everything else offensive are fine. And I think before anyone takes statements from the Association of University Profs as ‘research’ they should give this article a slow, thoughtful read.