Too much text! (Blue Lacuna)

Sorry to hear that, Andreas, and that totally explains why the game wouldn’t work for you and why others would be confused by your complaints without knowing your situation. I’m not sure if there’s an IFDB poll for less verbose games, but if not you might want to make one?

Andreas, might have come out and said it at the start :slight_smile:

See, the problem is you hid this uber-subjective stuff about yourself and slipped into some sort of authoritarian tone of voice, probably unintentionally. This is not how you critique or criticize stuff; you lay your relevant personality traits bare at the very beginning so other people can at least have an idea where your opinion comes from.

As to the rest: you make time for reading, the way you make time for everything else, including going to the kitchen and fixing yourself a meal. Or playing a video-game. I mean, text-based stuff maybe just isn’t your thing, though I fail to see how you wouldn’t kill yourself from boredom if you pointed your videogame character to a door down the hall and had to wait for 10 or 20 seconds for her to reach it.

By the way, I do hope your PTSD is not self-diagnosed, yes? Also, no medication for it? (I think there is.)

You are at variance with reason.

It doesn’t really work like that. The brain processes written words completely differently from visual stimuli, and its fairly common for one to work for someone while the other just doesn’t. I don’t claim any particular understanding of the condition, but I have a friend who suffers from something similar and that’s how it is for them.

Yeah, I knew that, just being snarky. Sorry, Andreas, no hard feelings really :wink:

If I ever get around to it, I think my first piece of IF will be called “apple”, featuring you trapped in a room, with an apple on a table, and a chair. They will all be fully interactable, and the room will be flawless, and another apple will materialize as soon as you’ve eaten the first one. I guess it’s called “minimalism”. To me that is beauty.

This thread makes me want apples.

The opinion comes from a random user on a random forum on the internet, and foremost it’s a subjective opinion about taste. It’s like declaring pasta to be the surpreme food for all mankind: Yes, I can proclaim it to be, but if people took my proclamation as fact, they’d be insane.
I reserve my right to be my own authoritarian Napoleon on my personal little island of taste, because I expect people to know that my taste is superior to noone. I’m not attempting to lay siege to your islands - relax. :wink:

You can’t fully explain away my opinion with PTSD. It just contributes. Some (perfectly sane) people don’t expect to read books when they sit down to play IFs. A lot of the early games weren’t books, and I reckon that some of their popularity might have sprung from the IFs being more like interactive games than books.

Further, I think that all IF authors will to some degree recognize that just writing the story down for the player, is much easier than giving the player options to explore on his own and trying to account for him trying to climb up trees or biting people. Anybody can write a story. It’s giving the player choices that’s difficult.

The author of Blue Lacuna has another award-winning piece of IF that might scratch this itch. (You should skip the description on that page, which is overly wordy and spoily as well.)

By the way it seems to me that many of the opinions andreas is expressing are the diametric opposite of Pudlo’s, for instance that last one about story vs. choices, and for that matter the whole “asking questions about I7 thing” (Pudlo is an I6 proponent). Though of course that doesn’t prove anything.

I see – I didn’t understand where you were coming from. Your complaints that an IF game had too many words baffled me. You’re saying that you like a game that is highly reactive to your input, but not really story driven, in that there won’t be that much dialogue to read through, or plot, or atmosphere. I don’t know how many IF games are like this in modern times. The old school ones were like this. They were simple because they had to be – there wasn’t enough memory to tell novel or even novella length stories. One of the things I love about modern IF is it doesn’t have those limitations. I like good stories in games, and get bored if there isn’t one. But that’s just me.

Actually, having read a thread where Pudlo was discussing with people (about some IF describing everything as shitty and depressing in a horror game) I like him. He doesn’t seem like a troll at all. Critics aren’t trolls, and neither are people with good self-esteem. Maybe I’m reading the wrong threads, but the only people I’ve seen being agressive on the Pudlo matter, are forum people telling eachother to lick their hairy ballsacks and what-not.
The first rule of creating anything of note, is that people are going to hate your work. It is inevitable. You can’t please everyone. If Pudlo had snuck into your rooms at night to touch your kids inappropriately, I would understand the outrage, but otherwise I must be missing a ton of abuse from him.

Also, I’m from Sweden, which is where you suspect Pudlo to be from, so that’s suspicious as well.

I’m not sure what you’re referring too, but I’m assuming its flame wars and a bunch of people taking things too personally. However, as this is an art form that requires a lot of patience and time to learn and apply (like all of them), it’s easy to take offense at someone slinging criticism, especially if its from the peanut gallery. It’s also an independent art form, which at its roots is experimental, which means not having clear conventions.

Someone accused of being Pudlo is defending Pudlo, suspects Pudlo is from Sweden despite apparently never having heard of him until earlier today and says Pudlo doesn’t seem like a troll at all. No, this new person isn’t Pudlo at all. What a silly idea.

Well, only time will tell if I’m Pudlo or not, so what you must do is now obvious: You owe it to this forum to watch every post I make veeery closely, over perhaps a months time, until you can prove once and for all that I’m Pudlo, but before I blow this whole forum sky high with hidden C4 caches. You are the hero that this forum needs - a silent guardian, et.c…

I’m late to this thread, but as someone who writes for other mediums and deals every day with the listicle-slideshow-industrial complex, in which more than a paragraph of text is seen as hopefully old-fashioned and traffic-repelling, I don’t think the OP is a troll at all. Highly misguided – though being a writer, who deals in text and not GIFs or single sentences, I am biased – but not saying anything that isn’t the going philosophy for online media lately.

It’s a sad day when a paragraph of writing is “hopefully old-fashioned and traffic-repelling”.

Ignorance.

Recommended reading on the topic: buzzfeedminusgifs.tumblr.com/

Uh oh! Is it more than a paragraph? CUZ IM TOO STOOPID TO READ MOAR THAN THAT!!!11

There is actually a trick to getting the player interested: Starting out simple, and then, in having the player require knowledge to progress.

"You’re in a room. You see an apple here.

eat apple
Before you can pick up the apple, the frog king enters. He snuckles and takes a bite out of your apple. ‘I’m the villain of this game.’, he explains with a toothless grin.
The frog king leaves, shutting the cell door behind him.
open door
Before you can reach it, there’s a click as the door locks. It seems you’re stuck here, apple-less.
i
You are carrying a magic wand.
Of course! You can unlock the door with the open spell! All you need to do is to chant ‘Pudlo!’.
"

See?
We don’t even need to mention the door or the frog king until they get in the way of progress, meaning that the player will feel naturally compelled while learning about the world in a natural way. Did Luke learn that Darth Vader was his father? No, because learning about that in the beginning would be pointless. Instead you wait for the right moment to unveil things as you go.