Tips for hunting down an elusive bug?

You’ll let those of us on the JV team know when it’s safe for us to play on that field, right?

I think the only good reasons to be on a version prior to 10.1 are:

• currently working on a project with a close deadline
  • in the middle of a large and complicated project with custom I6 inclusions or dependencies on extensions that have them
  • doing significant things with Glk or otherwise depend on extensions that haven’t been ported to 10.1
  • want to continue to be able to easily compile existing projects for 9.3/6M62 which depend on things downloaded from the public library (the current IDEs let you switch which version you’re compiling with, but they don’t let you have more than one External directory and most extensions won’t work in both, so you implicitly have to have an External directory that’s prepared to work with 9.3 or 10.1 but not both)

10.1 fixes a lot of bugs.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m still on 9.3 because of my enormous library of extensions. I want to be able to keep working with them until I’ve got the time and energy to go through and figure out which ones will work in 10.1 and which won’t.

2 Likes

Just in case you didn’t know, half of the Friends repo extensions by Daniel Stelzer already at least compile in 10.1.

Most of the time, just doing the obvious thing updating the before/instead of/afters to replacings is all it takes, but this statement will be more useful to pretty much anyone else reading this than you, 'cause you’ve got some weird ones likely to be among the exceptions. And it’s probably not worth trying to update the Glk-stack ones till Dannii’s GlkKit is here.

3 Likes

Been using 10 for a while. I think it’s great, but then again I only use Basic Screen Effects

I seem to remember Dropbox having a file history feature. It seems like a feature most cloud storage services would have.

There’s a number of source-control-system-that-aren’t-git systems out there, but I don’t know which is most recommended as friendly for a one-person project.

(Note: this is not the place to start explaining how easy git is. People who want git have already read the tutorials and so on.)

I’m afflicted with programmer brain, but find Fossil generally easy to use and see non-programmers show up on its forum from time to time. I’m afraid I can’t recommend a full GUI solution for it, but it’s a single binary and will give you a web page to look at your diffs.

1 Like