Time's Enigma by Jim MacBrayne

I guess the clue is in the title. :wink:

1 Like

I think you are right there. I guess “Stuck In Another Set Of Bloody Narrowing Pipes” just wouldn’t have been snappy enough.

As someone who solved Zork 1 and Sunset Over Savannah on my own I thought that I was quite good at these games; Mr MacBrayne has dispelled that conceit!

1 Like

Time’s Enigma has been updated today, see this thread: Time’s Engima by Jim MacBrayne - Review - Playing / IF Reviews and Essays - The Interactive Fiction Community Forum (intfiction.org)

Jim MacBrayne has just released a new game for Windows PCs called Time’s Engima.

See here for details (and an interview with Jim) http://8bitag.com/info/jim-maybrayne.html

Right now, the download links on that page are no longer working. The whole hosting site appears to have been “removed because it has exceeded its webspace allowance”. I don’t know if that’s temporary or permanent. (I have my old downloads, I just wanted to check if there had been any updates.)

2 Likes

It’s back up now. At least for me. So it may’ve been a false alarm, but it’s a useful one all the same! (8bitag.com down? Current problems and status. just in case, folks.)

Incidentally when I saw this I thought “Why didn’t he wait a bit for ParserComp?”

Then I realized that this was an old old topic and he’d written something I’d missed.

Any way you cut it, I’m glad to be alerted to another of Jim’s games.

2 Likes

The links to Time’s Enigma aren’t hosted on 8bitAG, they were on a site that Jim himself had set up. I do have them saved myself so could host them but I’m sure it would probably be better if they were just linked on IFDB/IFarchive, as I imagine Jim has changed them from the versions he originally sent me back then.

Jim does occasionally post on here see OldTimer

2 Likes

The main page is up, it’s just some of the download links that aren’t working for me. The one’s pointing to intermac.co.uk, which is the page that says “This site has been removed because it has exceeded its webspace allowance.” when I try it.

Worryingly, the “Webspace FAQ” they’re linking to is also a dead link for me.

I know Jim was having trouble with his intermac hosting (and email) and I think he’s abandoned it altogether. His games, including Time’s Enigma and other golden oldies like The Black Tower (originally written for the Commodore PET in 1983!) as well as his new stuff can be found on his page on itch.io.

MacBrayne fans will also be excited to hear that there is new game on the way! I’ve recently tested it. Not sure where it will be released, but I suspect IFComp.

4 Likes

Quite correct, Christopher. I no longer use my intermac web space, and although I can still receive incoming mail, outgoing emails often fail to be sent. I have moved over to Protonmail, as you know.

The new game, Have Orb, Will Travel’, will indeed be entered into IFComp in July

6 Likes