Theory and criticism: a vision

if50.substack.com does have the popup. If you’ve already subscribed it probably remembers and so doesn’t show you.

People dunk on Wordpress, but it’s still a very solid option. And definitely the better known :wink:

4 Likes

I think this is a great idea, too. I would also be an avid reader and supporter of a publication like this. (I regret that I never supported sub-Q while it was around, even though I was a regular reader.) Exciting! :grinning:

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea. I’d definitely be willing to put in some time editing, and now I’m thinking if there’s any theory/criticism topic I feel qualified to write a decent article about.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the fine line between fun and annoying in puzzles—manually opening doors before going through them seems to clearly be annoying, and >WIN GAME would be unsatisfying, but where the line is drawn has varied a lot by time and genre. What qualities make an obstacle annoying rather than fun?

4 Likes

Late to the party here, but am definitely interested in seeing something like this take root.

I’ll also second (third?) the recommendation for WordPress, although there are worthwhile alternatives out there.

Mostly, I’d encourage using a platform where the content is under the journal’s control, rather than rely on a siloed corporation to hold and serve it up. I would think longevity is a priority with this project.

4 Likes

Hello Victor. I’m an academic (social scientist) who has written quite a lot of non-fiction, and I’m also an experience editor. My love for IF has been rekindled over the last couple of years (not least through Narrascope and the IF Ed Com), and I’m looking for ways to bridge between my work and my hobby. I was actually thinking of opening a Wordpress site along the lines of what you describe, but what you suggest sounds much more interesting. I’d love to contribute towards what you have in mind in any way I can.

5 Likes

Recently, Judith Pintar shared this on Mastodon:

2 Likes

I just wanted to say that I’m very happy with the responses in this thread, and that I’m seeing enough enthusiasm that it is certainly worth exploring whether we can set up an editorial and technical team for this. So I will contact some people SOON™.

5 Likes