The Scott Adams screen effect

Hi again guys,

How can I create a screen effect like the scott adams games where there is a split screen -----, the room description updates automatically after taking or dropping an object?

And the first panel (room description) is fixed. The second panel (commands) is normal…

You can either expand the status line in Z-code, or use an extension such as Flexible Windows for Glulx.

Not sure how to use it. I installed the extension and it says:

[code]P32 - Wrong kind of thing in decide on
Most problems are detected when Inform translates the source text, but this is one of the exceptions, a “run-time problem” which emerges only during play.

When we write a phrase ‘To decide which K is …’, where K is a kind such as door or room, say, any use of ‘decide on X’ inside the definition of that phrase must result in X being the appropriate kind of thing. Here, X turned out to be an object, but an object of the wrong kind.
[/code]

That’s odd. Did you get the newest version from the Github repository?

Ok, that version works but how to use the extension to create that effect? Too advanced for me :slight_smile:

It looks like you want something similar tothis example, but spawning the window above and looking instead of taking inventory.

Yeah! It’s working great, I changed “try taking inventory” for “looking”. However, it’s showing the room description in both screens, how can I make it stop showing that after the comand in the lower screen?

Remove the window-drawing rule and use “Before looking: move focus to side-window, clearing the window.” instead.

I did but I received an error:

[code]P46 - The memory stack is exhausted

Most problems are detected when Inform translates the source text, but this is one of the exceptions, a “run-time problem” which emerges only during play.

The memory stack is used to store action, activity and rulebook variables, and now it has been exhausted. This must be because too complicated a combination of rulebooks (and actions) are all active at once: the story file is simply trying to do too much.

And in the game:
Block at 20 owner ID 10 size 1
Block at 14 owner ID 20011 size 4
36 0 1 427291
Block at 11 owner ID 10 size 1
Block at 5 owner ID 20011 size 4
36 0 1 427291
Block at 2 owner ID 10 size 1

[/code]

Sorry, I tried again, now it’s working but the room description is still there after the command and the upper screen is not getting updated…

I got it now, sorry, it was my fault. It wasn’t updated when going to directions, so I changed to “Before looking or going”

Awesome help, Draconis! I working great now!!