The penultimate not numbered New Year's Speed IF

Another good year for IF draws to a close. So it’s time for another New Year’s Speed!

The motivation behind it is to offer people a chance at writing a small work of IF at the end of the year. Traditionally, the rules have been very loosely defined. However, as people have complained about this lack in direction, I’m offering two variants:

1. Write whatever game you like, in any system you like, starting now. Games should be submitted by December 31st.

2. If you want to take the classical Speed IF route, take two hours, or however much you like, and use one/all/none of the items mentioned on this list:

• your mum’s shoes
  • Italians
    -a tanning bed
  • a copy of Doom III
    -the color chatreuse
    -Tiny Tim (preferably as a foe)
    -the smell of your evil twin
  • an e-peen hammer (whatever that may be)
  • A shirt which says “I killed my father and all I got was this lousy t-shirt”

Any approach that lies between the two is also okay.

If you’re thinking “So am I allowed to…” the answer is yes.

Games should be submitted to marius.ts.muellerSPAM@gmail.com by 23:59 GMT+1, Dec. 30th 2011.

New Year’s Speed games have been played on Clubfloyd traditionally, but I haven’t spoken to Jacq yet. So, no promises.

A last thing: Please take note of the Hugo Open House competition, with which we coexist peacefully. I for one am trying to enter both.

(Announcement here = viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3761)

Thank you and , most importantly, have fun!

Sure, why not? All games playable on Floyd (and if you’re nice, even Undum games) will be played on ClubFloyd on New Year’s Day, Jan 1, at noon Eastern in the Toyshop on the trusty ifMUD. : )

Have fun writing, everyone! [emote]:D[/emote]

You should get my submission within the next few minutes [emote]:)[/emote]

Also, was just wondering if I was allowed to post my IF that I’m submitting to this elsewhere before the results are released?

1. Speed-IF doesn’t really have ‘results’, per se. Just games.

2. In Speed-IF, everything is permitted except that which is expressly forbidden. (For most of Speed-IF history people would just post a link to their game as soon as they’d finished it. The email-game-to-organiser, release-on-ClubFloyd model is a funky new variation.)

Is the deadline dec., 31 or 30?
I just realized the post says both.

Well, Deadline is the 30th, so I can send the files to Jacq on the morning of the 31st so she can upload them.

Take note that this is the 30th GMT+1, so it might be a bit earlier, depending on where you are in the world.

I best get writing then [emote];)[/emote]

3 submissions so far, including, humbly, my own. Keep 'em coming!

Should be 4 by tomorrow. Looking forward to what others are doing and hope there’re a lot of other procrastinators out there too [emote]:)[/emote]

Well, a deadline is a deadline. It works in BOTH ways [emote]:)[/emote]

All right, I’ve submitted my goofy pointless waste of time. Hopefully it’s clued enough to be solvable on Floyd.

Speaking of which, I should be able to participate on Sunday, but at some point I need to find someone on the mud who can help me recover my password…

Yay! I’m done. I think it’s clued well, too. I hope it’s lots of fun.

Looking forward to the other games, too. I’ll be at CF for sure.

Oh rats, I thought the deadline was tomorrow, not today. Now what am I to do with this half-finished silly game?

Oh well, I’ll be on CF anyway to see the successfully completed entrants, at least.

We had 13 submissions. Can’t wait to play them. See all y’all tomorrow.

Wow! That’s a lot.

So just to make sure…

On January 1st the fun will start on ClubFloyd at noon ET
11 AM Central
10 AM Mountain
9 AM Pacific

5 PM GMT

[emote]:shock:[/emote] Holy foozwiddles!

Well, this was REAL fun.
Maybe a bit too fast (all that scrolling back to catch things…), but really fun.

ClubFloyd rocks.

And we’ll get to do it all again next week. Or, more precisely, the other half we didn’t quite get through.

I’m looking forward to it. I enjoyed seeing other people’s experiments. And I appreciate the help they gave me with my own game.

Yep it was great fun: we brought about Ragnarok three times (once with the aid of popcorn), murdered a dancing partner with the power of adverbs, avoided ruining Christmas and learned the true value of cheating.

More fun this past weekend: a riff on Dickens, a mob story, rescuing Elvis with a lemon and a Tarzan move or two, getting out of jail, using mistletoe to get to work on time, and a funny take on the Legend of Excalibur. I enjoyed it again.

Apparently next week we’ll be looking at the Hugo games.