The Mysteries of Aaron Reed's Remembering Extension (and a solution)

I just see no visibility testing (in Inform’s technical sense) in ‘Remembering’.

Although its instructions say…

“We do this with a new internal verb, “to remember,” which is triggered by any attempt to examine, take, or drop a “seen” but not visible (my emphasis) noun. (“Seen” is defined in the required Epistemology by Eric Eve extension.)”…

…Seen as defined in Epistemology is an on/off variable that’s set once you’ve seen something.

The grammar lines in Remembering fire on all ‘seen’ things, and once you’ve seen something, it stays seen. You see yourself in turn one of the game, so attempts to X ME will go to the remembering action forever more, etc.

I doubt Epistemology ever tracked visibility dynamically in figuring the ‘seen’ flags in any past version, though it could have. So, could it just be an oversight in Remembering? Seems unlikely this one would have slipped by, though.

Remembering didn’t seem to work when I tried it in a vanilla z8 project, either. It would claim you couldn’t see something anymore even if it was in the room.

-Wade

1 Like