The mental perils of social media/news

The ones they showed us in Driver’s Ed were called “Red Asphalt” (volumes I through V) and they’re a big part of why I’ve never driven on a highway. There was a lot of emphasis on “even if you do everything right you’ll very likely die due to someone else’s mistake, and here’s a photo of just how many lanes of a highway a person’s brain can smear across”.

(The answer is four lanes, if you’re wondering.)

6 Likes

That’s why I hate cattle chute highways, whether they be baked in like on bridges or overpasses, or temporary walls due to road construction.
b16a0dc1-c116-4803-9328-fc1ee0aac6f3_d
I-85-PIC-FOR-WEB
At least with grass medians and shoulders I can take my chances going offroad, which has certainly saved my life at least twice thus far avoiding interstate pile-ups.

4 Likes

Our health class just showed us pictures of extreme cases of STIs and then told us abstinence was the only way to avoid ending up like that.

2 Likes

Ugh same.

2 Likes

Yeah, my sex ed was better than most in the United States, but they still spent a lot of time focusing on the risk of pregnancy from things that physically cannot result in pregnancy.

5 Likes

I just have to know what these things are.

5 Likes

Holding hands…?

…uh…

…S-Sh—… (stares at @pinkunz gesturing wildly from the back row, reminding me of stuff while I’m onstage) …sharing…cereal…? Sh-Sharing… s—… …sandwiches??? Dude, you need better signals… Is that an “A” or an “S”? They look so similar in ASL and you’re like 25 meters away…!

8 Likes

Suffice to say the mouth is not directly connected to the uterus.

6 Likes

As a former long time teacher (and I taught sex ed for years in Bio class, extremely thoroughly, at risk of being fired, way past what the state of Texas is comfortable with), I have to say how terribly disappointed I am in everyone’s recent teacher stories. First there’s @inventor200 's satanic-panic teachers, and now this. I mean, what? It doesn’t reflect well on the profession.

8 Likes

And I wasn’t even in the South! This was in the Chicago area! :thinking:

5 Likes

I mean, define recent. My highschool experiences began with 9/11, so perhaps not the most relevant data point.

4 Likes

Re: Heavy Metal (you need to understand swedish, sorry…)

1 Like

Oh! I meant recent, as in “just told it.” I don’t think all y’all are school-aged. But I was teaching the 9th grade on 9/11, so thanks for making me feel old.

5 Likes

My mistake. Well, if you can call up the sea of confused young faces staring back at you that morning, that is my generation for whatever it’s worth. Quite a few of my classmates ended up overseas a few years later. I can still recall the Channel One episode that morning. They were discussing the Hutus and Tutsis and a possible resurgence in ethnic cleansing. Then it was like it didn’t happen; coverage and debate of 9/11 and the resulting invasions sucked the oxygen out of the room. It was literal years before I heard an even passing mention of either ethnic group again on TV or the radio.

5 Likes

I went to mostly public school in Illinois during those years and we got “moderate” sex ed - our high school health teacher actually did the thing where he showed us a condom and how it went on a banana.

I also remember in 4th or 5th grade our music teacher played us a recording (it was actually on a vinyl record) about “back masking” with potentially subconscious phrases hidden if you play a song backwards. This seemed like a historical record of some kind (it might have been a governmental hearing but it didn’t seem particularly religious) and featured the Beatles “Revolution #9” that supposedly has “turn me on dead man” backwards" and a lengthy discussion of the metaphors of “Hotel California”.

This was not a religious school or class. Our music teacher presented it more in an “Isn’t this interesting” sort of context, and I think he just wanted a chance to play The Eagles in an educational context for fifth-graders. His point of view on back-masking was it was mostly coincidence: “You can probably hear anything you’re looking for if you play enough records backwards.”

6 Likes

Ditto on the old part. I had already finished grad school.

I remember exactly where I was when it happened. I was in the middle of a root canal. Now that I think about it, one of my root canals failed recently. I wonder if that was the one. I wouldn’t blame the dentist if it was.

4 Likes

I had a hard time figuring all this out. I was shocked years later to find, say, a song like Holy Diver by Dio, which was about false messiahs.

I was surprised on moving to the city that so many people played D&D and they wondered why I hadn’t, as I seemed like they type.

I remember adding to adults’ reasons why D&D was bad and people apparently committed suicide at a higher rate if they played it. I figured they just got upset they lost really, really badly. And I knew I got upset when I lost at games and sports and whatever, so I’d better avoid that!

IIRC the real tragedy about “D&D is linked to suicide” was that, yes, kids who played D&D were at a higher risk of loneliness, etc., and D&D helped mitigate that. (Music too!)

But I think my parents were glad to assume it went the other way. They didn’t seem to be big on me having fun they could not have imagined.

I do remember being shocked seeing so many Pink Floyd t-shirts on moving to the city. For some reason I had them, Dire Straits and the Grateful Dead all tied up together as potential Satanic bands. Wise, solemn adults said so! I think it was tied up with putting kids at risk of taking LSD or something.

Years later I still was surprised to uncover songs or bands that were supposed to be awful who, in fact, discussed rather normal things. Or if a band discussed something awful, they discussed it satirically/ironically and cut it down.

The extreme of this is the Beastie Boys’ Fight For Your Right to Party, which they still regret became an actual party anthem. But ACDC’s (boy! they were on adults’ naughty list too!) Moneytalks is another example of this sort of song, where they lampoon rich sexual predators, or Motley Crue’s Dr. Feelgood, which I remember hearing was Shamefully About Drugs, but it may have helped people break their addiction.

Oh yes. Driver’s Ed horror-show videos were another thing. They made me scared I’d, like, even breathe wrong at the wheel and something horrible would happen. They did more harm than good.

I still remember my second instructor saying “I trust you. Let’s get started.” And we did. And I did more than okay.

4 Likes

The rumor at my school was that it meant “Antichrist devil’s children”.

It’s AC :zap: DC by the way. :metal:

5 Likes

I always heard the name AC/DC meant “bisexual,” but in reality the guitarists’ sister (who made Angus’s schoolboy uniform) got it off the back of her sewing machine.

4 Likes

9 Likes