Nominations Closed! Ribbon announcements coming soon [General "Spring Thing 2023 Discussion Thread" Thread]

I just finished “Repeat the Ending”. It was definitely interesting and at times very sad. I am not a completionist so I only completed it once. If it had been the typical Zork game I would probably have pursued the points but it wasn’t so I completed it with 2 points out of 33 possible. Luckily, the author made all endings available after completing the game so I read them all. It would have been a bit cumbersome to replay many times to get all combinations of points.

Also, I did not read every footnote etc. so I probably missed some stuff but I felt I got the main idea.

However, I was wondering why we are supposed to screw up as much as possible to get the true ending? My best bet is that we usually learn from our mistakes more than our successes so the more mistakes we make, the more enlightened we will become? but perhaps I missed something important?

8 Likes

I suspect Drew would say the interpretation that you come away with and resonates with you is the one that matters, but for what it’s worth I thought the reading in @jjmcc’s review was satisfying (I tested the game but haven’t yet replayed it in final form, so I’ll defer my own thoughts for now!)

9 Likes

Let me rephrase that. You can’t reach self-loathing nirvana without first failing as hard as you can, whereupon you find your greatest achievement is simultaneously your worst failure. But I can’t speak for Drew.

7 Likes

Here’s one possible interpretation:

Depression and deep-seated self-loathing tend to make it so that mistakes feel like the end of the world. Anything you do wrong is confirmation that you’re worthless, you only ever make things worse, and you should never have even tried. (This description feels like it’s really underselling the, I don’t know, intensity? of that reaction, but I’m too tired right now to do better, sorry. I am deeply and personally acquainted with it, though!) The “original version” of the game reflects that mindset by having anything you do wrong result in an abrupt and final game-over. But you can’t access the better outcomes in the “remake” as long as you’re still convinced you can’t make mistakes; you can only get there by actively defying that mindset and accepting, even embracing, failure.

8 Likes

Ooh, I like that read too. By making the failures non-sequitor and sometimes flat out absurdly funny, it also seemed to reinforce the “how bad is this really?” idea.

If I may be so bold, you are also missing some really good funny by not courting at least the early fail states!

6 Likes

I was amused to note a similarity between Insomnia and Write or Reflect–well, WoR in helpful mode, anyway! Both have a possibility of going to endings you’ve seen before. (Insomnia has a bit more writing as a payoff!)

But they have different mechanisms for helping you to find all the different endings, so to speak.

Also, I’d like to thank the author for an early encouraging note to me about WoR. I hope this is good payback. So any suggestions here are “It’d be neat to do this too!”

WoR’s helpful mode lets you know if you’re about to walk into a node where all endings are covered. So you will get there, and rather quickly, by trial and error. It forces you to find the right path, which may be too harsh.

But Insomnia leaves a bit of a puzzle. It’s quite up-front about things and I think even the endings seem to be organized so that, say, ending #1 is “first choice all the way through” and #26 is “last choice all the way through.” So you have a neat idea of what you can target and when and how. There’s some neat intuition here that I like, because while I enjoy branching Twine games, I sort of cringe at having to look at the source to knock off that last ending or two. Whether or not the endings diverge as much as Insomnia!

So I’m not aware of anything else that handles the endings as Insomnia does. But I’d be interested to see others, because I think it’s a great idea well-executed that helps it go beyond “yet another zany Twine game with clever fun writing.”

I think this opens up possibilities for creating Twine-ish paths elsewhere, maybe even allowing the player a difficulty knob of how much they want to spoil.

For instance, you could have a counter saying, once you’ve hit all the endings in the UFO branch (there are four) two times, that one is blocked off somehow or the node is bumped back! It seems like this would be tricky to do in Twine, but it would allow for a VERY branching game with even more endings than 26 so that the player’s energy would focus less on staying patient and juggling endings and more on the writing.

(Another neat idea, especially if the game had meta components, would be to allow the player maybe 2-3 glimpses at a branching ending map. Or maybe even label the endings 11111, etc., based on which choice gets you somewhere in the minimum tries.)

Insomnia is definitely a fun light-hearted read but it brings up some (to me) engaging, serious issues of how to keep the player’s attention and the niceties we should add to help them along and feel the optimal amount of stuck so we had a neat challenge, without giving up!

All these considerations, though, are nothing to lose sleep over. Ha ha ha.

6 Likes

Hi all! Thanks for playing and talking about my game.

Mike’s right! I don’t want to take away anyone’s freedom to interpret Repeat the Ending for themselves.

So I won’t say what things mean (how would you know if I’m telling the truth?), but I will/can say general things about the project. For instance: the main throughline of RTE is less than a third of the total experience in terms of code and printed text.

It’s possible that, depending on the amount of Repeat the Ending that you see, it may make more or less sense.

Thanks again for talking about my game! I won’t butt in again unless somebody @'s me, so feel free to draw your own conclusions without my meddling. :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Thanks for playing and reviewing my game!

Thank you, I really appreciate the work and thought you put into this post!

That’s an interesting observation! I didn’t actually have any conscious meaning or purpose in mind for how I ordered the endings in the Accomplishments screen. I remember what I did was just search for “The End” in my Twine project to find all my ending nodes. Then I worked my way roughly left to right in the tree to add the macro that recorded what ending was found to those nodes. The endings that were found through the longest paths ended up at the end of the list because I had to scroll down to get to them last. :slight_smile:

I like this idea of cutting off branches that are completely exhausted on subsequent playthroughs. It should probably be an option that the user can toggle, perhaps like you suggest linked to a difficulty setting. (Easy - disable links to completed branches, Hard - don’t show already visited links in a different color.)

Giving each ending a number that encodes the path the user took to get there is a nifty idea. You could even say it’s the number of the universe in which the story took place, kind of like how they do it in comic books.

I definitely did want to keep the player engaged and motivated to see the entire story, and minimize the amount of time wasted going through already explored paths. I’m happy to hear my efforts made an impression on you!

5 Likes

I’m now getting 403 errors for both versions of the map.

3 Likes

My computer isn’t free right now to fix this, but what’s happening is that there are about 5-7 files in the folder the game resides in. Every time an author sends new files in, all the files have to be replaced and (because borogove gives different links every time it’s updated) three links have to be updated. This leaves a lot of room for organizer error.

This game has been updated several times, and my guess is that the names of the maps in the current iteration uploaded today don’t match the file names I had used earlier (I had renamed them for convenience). Should be fixed in about half an hour.

7 Likes

Oh, it was actually a brand new error!

I’d never seen a 403 error before, but apparently it has to do with file permissions. I looked and saw that those two files had 0600 file permissions instead of 0644. I looked it up, and apparently 0600 is private while 0644 is read-only, so I changed it.

I have never touched these, even once. Completely flabbergasted here! Should be fine now.

7 Likes

The stress of finishing Marie Waits with only 8 minutes to spare :sweat_smile:

A few small notes, @dee_cooke: I had to look at the walkthrough to figure out that I needed to type “jump into water” in order to do that action, after trying “jump in water”, “jump to water”, “jump down eastern side”, etc. with no luck. I also accidentally found the door in the hut by typing “x door”, and proceeded to successfully unlock and open it but then was unable to go through until I backtracked and did “x walls”, after which I was able to walk south. And finally, I took the note from the dead woman’s hand, then looked behind the body and found the sack, after which the description of the body still mentioned the note being in her hand.

A fun game, and I’m intrigued by the story and look forward to “Marie”!

7 Likes

The Familiar is very cute, and I love the art! The worldbuilding was well done too–I had more emotions playing this game than I expected, and the secret ending was heartwarming. Also, despite all my rage, I’m still just a crow in a cage :laughing:

Small bug/typo report

At the cafe, the description of the man doesn’t mention the coin–I got it by dropping the heartnut on his head on a whim, only discovering the coin’s presence after he left. But after obtaining the coin, when I return to this location the line “You see a coin under his boot” appears in the description (despite the man himself being absent now).

And then three little typos!
-At one point, Hedgehog Amanita was spelled “Amantia”
-When Valmai drinks the potion, “excitedly” is “excitdely”
-Secret ending: two periods after “good-hearted people”

@groggydog

5 Likes

Thanks for playing and for the bug reports!

3 Likes

Aw thanks! So glad you got a kick out of the game, and that it resonated with you. I was so worried it wouldn’t hit the emotional beats I wanted. I’ve noted down your typo catches and will update them post-ST.

5 Likes

If you have played Repeat the Ending, but do not plan to write a review:

1. Thank you for playing Repeat the Ending, a newly revised critical edition of that forgotten 1996 game, Repeat the Ending!
  2. I am making a post-festival release, so I would love to receive your bug reports.
  3. Feel free to post them here or in PM. If your report is extensive, PM will probably be better to avoid distracting from the thread.
  4. If you send a transcript, note that asterisk characters are heavily used in-game, so please precede your comment with a different character (“#” or “&” for instance).

I appreciate any and all assistance with bug-hunting.

At this time, I have only fixed two problems:

• Formatting: In “A Note to New Players,” a line break was missing between line items #3 and #4
  • Bug: In the final region (hospital parking lot) the DIAGNOSE ME command did not name a source of magic absorbed by the PC.
12 Likes

Repeat the Ending is amazing. I’m getting hit with emotions as I read the hints post-game! It’s a deeply compassionate work and I’m very glad to have played it.

My score: 25

11 Likes

Thank you for playing it! And for reading the hints as well :blue_heart:

4 Likes

It’s so quiet I almost feel that I should tiptoe in…

Almost! Do any authors plan to share source code, post-festival? I’ve decided to go for it, rather than wait for next year’s amnesty day. I mean, I don’t think my code will get more clean or efficient between now and then.

9 Likes

I wrote a new js engine for Black Walrus, and in retrospect, I’m not happy with it.

For my next next game (besides my parsercomp entry) I’ve got a new engine that creates choice/parser hybrid games from a markup script somewhat influenced by markdown and next js. I’m torn on whether to release the source for this game or to wait for the next.

8 Likes