Itās the end of the month, and Field Option C is strongly in the lead in the poll to select the field for the Great Play Marathon. Iāll be closing the poll soon, so if you havenāt looked over the three choices, please do and cast your vote!
Several people have posted promising-looking courses across all three options. Which interesting paths do you see?
Welcome, runners #9 and #10: @Joey and @Doug_Egan! Weāve now officially hit the double-digit mark for runners!
Doug_Egan, I used color code #F08080 for you since you didnāt specify one. If youād like to change that, let me know. Also, please let me know the type of course that you intend to run.
The poll for field options is still open but will be closed around the end of this weekend. Option C is still substantially in the lead, so you can look at that one to plan a course.
This route includes a couple of games that were firmly on my list already, Miss Goslingās Last Case and Pythoās Mask, to motivate me to start and continue through the outbound leg. On the unlikely event that I get to the middle of this course Iāve added a couple of non-English games, Der Angstbaum and Faute de Servo, since if Iāve got that far then the added challenge of a different language wonāt put me off! The inbound leg finishes off with a couple of lighter games, His Majestyās Space Navy Service Handbook and Draculaland, to ease me towards the finish line.
Assuming C wins out, this is my first thought for a route, taking in as it does various games Iāve meant to play but havenāt yet, and some games that Iāve never heard of before but look interesting. Iād like to cover Moondrop Isle as though I played a good deal of it in testing, I havenāt actually completed the released version. But if I get to that point and I donāt have the energy for a big game, then I could do A Murder in Fairyland instead. Alternatively, I could do the route the other way around to ensure I have the most time for Moondrop Isle. In which case, if Iām flagging mid-way, then I could do Curse of the Scarab instead of Worldās Apart.
Yes, the more I think about it, the more that makes sense. Start with the hill climb, end with the descent.
Now that the field has been formally selected, those registered (and those registering) will need to provide their starting square.
Iāve used the tentative courses announced to place Lionstooth, Hellzon, Crazyqix, Melisande and Joey; see the ābig boardā now added to the top post. Iāll need formal designations from @Rovarsson, @kaemi, @iaraya, @JohnD and @Doug_Egan before the marathon begins.
To everyone signing up from this point on, please be sure to include:
the color code (or a sample graphic of the color) to use for your icon
the type of course that you intend to run (short, medium, long, or free running)
your starting square (as a game title or grid position)
As I have been mostly absent from the modern IF scene forever, really, Iāve only heard of a couple of the games in the field. And I donāt know anything about them, either! So, Iāll just be picking a random path based on nothing other than the titles. Exciting times!
Also, I have a question! It might be covered somewhere, but if so, I havenāt seen it.
What happens if I get stuck in a game? Can I use a walkthrough? Conversely, am I expected to use a walkthrough? Can I ask for hints on here? (I donāt mind asking for hints but I donāt like using walkthroughs.)
Can I rage quit a game and move along my path if Iām really really stuck?
Rovarsson and JohnD, your icons have been placed on the big board.
@JohnD, as explained in the FAQ, you must complete a game (i.e. reach an author-defined significant end, even if it is not the best ending) before you can cross through that gameās square. You are allowed to use hints, walkthroughs, etc. at your option.
Alternatively, you can elect to change your course and go through a different square ā in most cases you will have at least one other choice that will let you resume your planned course. You can even change your course type (for example, switch to free running), if preferred.
Haha, yes, I have some catching up to do! I have played Curses, Jigsaw and A Change in the Weather⦠Itās time I acquainted myself with the 21st century, finally. But Iāll ease myself in gently with a game from 1998
Starting from Draculaland, and heading toward the Anarchronist. I donāt know where Iāll go from there. Frankly, Iām not sure I understand the rules defining a ācomplete courseā. Iāll go back through this thread and try to educate myself.
And out of these, I could hit seven with a medium course or seven with a long course. So Iāll have to look into the other options compatible with these paths and see which ones speak to me most! (Iām happy to take recommendations, also.)
@Doug_Egan, your runnerās icon has been placed. The FAQ (second post from top) should hopefully make everything clear ā if not, ask your question(s) and Iāll add to it.
@Draconis, great! Whenever youāre ready to register, just let me know your color code, course type (sounds like medium), and starting square, and Iāll add your icon to the board.
FYI, Iāve moved everyoneās course-planning posts from the event-selection thread to this one.
Did you mean nine with a long course? It looks to me like youād have to choose between Scarab or, uh, the unnamed one with the moon and the island, but could get all the rest of them.