The Forum

I see that the sub-forums for T3 and I7 are now gone. I guess if they get busy, we could always add them back, or have two boards for each (even without a sub-category).

I’m seeing something quirky with italics though. Like this – anybody else see formatting codes, instead of italic text? Looks like maybe a bug in this version of the phpBB beta to me.

When I initially posted my question to you on the Hugo section, I got the same reaction on the italics, so I removed it. After replying to you now, the italics are working again. Weird.

It shows up right in the quoted section, but not in the text I originally typed.

It looks like both the bold and italics work right if you highlight the text first then click on the Bold and Italics buttons on the reply screen. Otherwise, if you just type in the tags manually, the tags don’t get parsed correctly.

Still weird, but at least there’s a workaround. :wink:

Interesting. I’ll try that.

Edit: Nope. Still didn’t work.

Little italics test.

Darn. No joy. Italics don’t seem to be my friend here.

I can’t figure out why it’s trying to put in markup code. What’s with the colon and the number? What does it really add to the tag, anyway? It’s weird.

Italics

Strangely enough, when I previewed this post, the italics bit above was actualy in italics, but when I submitted it, it shows up with the weird coding instead.

Could this be a browser issue? I’m using Firefox 1.5.0.1 and this bit of italics and boldness worked.

I’m using Firefox 1.0.5.6 and I’m betting this word here - italics - doesn’t display properly.

And here’s some italics in good ol’ Internet Explorer to see what it looks like.

Thanks. I’m trying it out on my Firefox 1.5.0.6 now, and here’s bold, and here’s italics. I won’t do a preview - I’ll just directly hit Submit, so let’s see what happens.

EDIT: I even edited David’s comment to make the italics work. And it does.

Well, I could probably dig in and find out what’s going on. I’ve been a web developer for eight years, and I’ve been using PHP for the last couple. There’s probably a good reason for it, but everything points to “bug”.

In case anybody cares, the server uses mirrored RAID-1, so I think the posts here are pretty safe. It’s unlikely both drives would fail at the same time. But that reminds me, I intended to add a database backup to my nightly event, and I keep forgetting. I’ll have to do that soon, just in case both drives ever do fail, or the database ever gets corrupted somehow.

And since we’re using Beta software, it might happen.

I saw that “Googlebot” visited us today. Guess we’ll be appearing in the Google searches eventually.

Yeah, the forum must be built to support that somehow. I’ve never seen that in older versions of phpBB.

Ditto for today. And to think Rioshin was also logged in…

I can’t help thinking Rioshin is giving the G-bot a tour guide :laughing: