The Banner Saga

Songs that are still stuck in my head, after 20+ years, from playing Tetris on the Gameboy when I was a kid. I can see why people are hooked on Candy Crush, since it follows the same Tetris-like format.

Best (and most addictive) smartphone games I’ve ever played are Pocket Mine, Pudding Monsters and Angry Birds Go

but this thread has already derailed much…

Before we go back to the original topic, I just think this is far too relevant not to share, though you’ve all probably already seen it.

cad-comic.com/cad/20140122

EDIT - Also, CAD says:

Legitimate or not, huh? I can see why it’s become such a slavering, hungry, power-mad beast, the copyright/trademark institution. Where’s Laroquod when we need him? He’d have a field day here.

I can’t help but think that if these situations are a necessity because of the way the system works… then the system isn’t working very well.

Hahaha. Nice comic. It’s a monopolizing gimmick. It’s pretty obvious that “Candy Crush Saga” has nothing to do with a game about vikings. What’s the most ironic, maddeningly hilarious aspect of this, is that the word ‘saga’ was originally a Norse word. “The Banner Saga” is using the word correctly. However, if their army of reptilian lawyers blocks any “Twilight Saga” games, maybe it’s not a bad thing. (j/k).

Where can I get this?

The Banner Saga? It’s on steam. That’s where I pick up most of my games. I’ve gotten $40-$60 games for about $7 because of sales. Banner Saga is not on sale, though – it’s $25.

I forgot to mention – you can try out the combat system for free. Stoic released “The Banner Saga Factions” first, and it’s a free download on Steam.

Is there one for android users? I don’t have a PC I can use.

Uhhh… no PC? You’re working on I7 on an Android??

Anyway, I’m not sure. I have a dumb phone, and proud of it.

(edit)

Didn’t think that answer through. Are you on a Mac? If so – it is available for Mac, too.

I work twine on android. I use the school’s PC for i7. And no, I have never used a Mac.

Ah. Well – no Banner Saga for Android, unfortunately. Shadowrun Returns and Paper Sorcerer are both available on Android, and both of those games are fantastic. (Paper Sorcerer, for $5, is a steal.)

(edit)
Actually, I’d say Paper Sorcerer is more fun. Shadowrun Returns is good.

Yeesh.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/449428/indie-dev-candy-crush-cloned-my-game-and-now-king-wants-my-trademark-cancelled/

Shadowrun Returns looks great. I do remember when it was released on PC

sadly, I saw users complaining it doesn’t seem to run on XPeria Zq. I’ll wait and see…

Shadowrun Returns is decent, but not spectacular.

• The world feels a little sparse - it’s very directed, not much by way of side-treks. It’s a lot more like an IF-type plot than a big-world CRPG one.
  • It doesn’t really have a great answer to the Big Problem of Shadowrun, which is that deckers are kind of boring, useless when there isn’t a decking element to a run and kind of detached from the rest of the party when there is.
  • Personally, I was sad that there wasn’t a bit more setting connection to real-world Seattle. There’s definitely some stuff in there, but most of the time it felt more like Generic Cyberpunk Setting. I’m always really interested, in the abstract, in how games simulate real-life cities, but I’ve never really played one in a city where I’m already familiar with the geography. This is totally a personal gripe, but meh. We’ll see how Deadlight does.
  • Compared to XCOM, the other turn-based combat tactics thing I’ve been playing a lot of, the whole combat experience is not very smooth - scenery doesn’t always mesh sensibly with the grid, cover isn’t very intuitive, a lot of fights drag out too long.

But there’s really nice character art, and the writing is above-average, at least at the prose level. I’m not finding myself very motivated to replay it, but it’s definitely worth playing.

(I have a special weird fondness for Shadowrun because it was through the Shadowrun 2nd ed. book that I first heard of Seattle. I wasn’t very clear about whether it was a fictional place or not. It is very odd living here now.)

Right now, all the user-made campaigns are… really not great. That’s another story.

Yeah – I thought the same. I would have liked a more open map, but its pretty linear. They probably went the safer route with the first game and just got it out there, rather than make something bigger and get hung up in early access. A new story add-on is coming out soon, priced the same as the main game, though!

Not too many connections to any real city, and the NPCs were pretty weak. Haven’t heard of Deadlight. Watch Dogs is taking the idea of simulating a real city to a whole new level, though. Generic cyberpunk sounds about spot on, but it does have a pretty good tone.

XCOM is pretty much the game to beat with turn-based strategy. Shadowrun is decent, but The Banner Saga is surprisingly good – the combat is a lot of fun, and very challenging.

I put Shadowrun down pretty quick, mainly because I have a glut of games to play, and right now – no time at all to play them! So I’ve been playing snack-sized games that I can play a few fights and put them down. The Banner Saga, and now Paper Sorcerer, are the only games I’ve been playing. Have you tried Paper Sorcerer? That game is a lot of fun.

oh, well

better that way. I can now keep around until the IF rush in my veins goes back to normal levels… :laughing:

Man, that’s even worse.

EDIT - Not that it’ll do any good, but I’ve just gone and rated every King game I’ve played (that’s four out of released five) 1 star and accompanied each with a brief “review” along the lines of how lackluster all of these games were, mere clones of well known gameplay with very little that’s new to reccomend them for.

Yeah, yeah, drop in the ocean. Wouldn’t be if a lot of people started doing it, though. Hate-mail? They just filter it out. Bad votes in the appstore? THAT will get to them, if enough people do it.

I know, I know, people won’t do it. Just let me dream, already…

You might have woken up a few people, at least. This is a really sad story, but not surprising in the least. Whenever I hear a story like this, it reminds me a lot of “The Man in the High Castle”. Without giving away too much of the plot, there are two characters that leave their big business of making imitation knock-offs, and set out on their own to make something new. Their product catches on, and at a mid-way point, they are offered the chance of mass producing this product. By doing so, it would erase what made it worth something in the first place – its uniqueness. I think there’s a reason why so many luminaries and artists in the music and games industry are going independent. They’re sick of making soulless knock-offs. Of course, big business will always try to monopolize on every innovation, and so the cycle continues. Hopefully, people are discerning enough to see the difference in something that has “wu wei”, vs. something that was spit out of an assembly line.