Thanking people for good response from 2+ years ago?

I just found the answer to a question I meant to ask, but I didn’t need to, because when I searched around, I found someone else had answered it five years ago.

Now, I was glad to click the heart next to the good reply, and I imagine the user will enjoy seeing that and understand.

But sometimes that feels like a bit of a blow-off. I was wondering if anything more could/should be done. It seems like bumping this sort of topic all the time is a bad idea, because that may create a lot of useless noise for others. But is it worth PMing a person with general thanks after 5 or so good replies? Is it worth bumping the topic if I strongly believe others had this question, too, but didn’t know how to ask?

In fact, I’d be interested in a general link to pointers to help people get the most out of Discord. I mean, we all know the “here’s the sort of bad stuff that gets you immediately moderated” rules, but I’m also interested in less clear cut stuff. Where I don’t know if it’s worth speaking up in a situation, or how prominently, to say “good job.”

3 Likes

Speaking personally, I wouldn’t want a PM saying “thank you” unless it told me something otherwise surprising. Clicking the heart sends a notification; that’s enough for me.

7 Likes

(ITYM Discourse. Discord is something else…)

My philosophy is, if there’s a button on the site to do something, you should click the button instead of writing a comment to the same effect.

Discourse is all about gamifying forums, and it works best if you play with the game instead of against it. For example, clicking the heart doesn’t just send a notification; it also counts toward the progression of badges and user levels, for both you and the other person, and it can be used to rank comments by how well-appreciated they are for whatever functionality the devs come up with.

5 Likes

Exactly. Discourse is designed for users to learn by interacting with it and experimenting rather than reading a manual. If you see a button, it’s fine to see what it does. If it does do something permanent or significant, it will generally warn you first.

As far as moderation, not using the board correctly isn’t going to call wrath down upon you. We’ll likely PM along the lines of “Hey, don’t do that, would you do this maybe?”

That said, Discourse Meta does have a guide:

I get likes on old posts people have read and it’s fun to be notified. The one thing I always forget - on older messages I haven’t looked at since the migration, when I’m notified, it starts me at the beginning since Discourse hasn’t had a chance to set the pointer for me in that topic. I have to remember to check the date and scroll down to the present timeline.

2 Likes

@vaporware yes. Thanks. Discourse is not Discord. Even if they both start with Disco.

@HanonO thanks for the guide. It is fun to learn by doing, but all the same, I want to avoid the big mistakes people don’t learn anything from. And yes, of course I went and signed up and clicked “like” and felt that was adequate.

Likes are nice and efficient and a lot better than having to post/see a bunch of “thanks” as were needed back in 2000 or so. But to me gamifying things to the point of just clicking makes me feel like a bit of a robot.

I’ve always felt Discourse should be more obvious to me than it is, so a few nudges in the right direction would help. I’d like to jump in quicker than I did with StackOverflow, where it is easy to slink away at first and feel like everyone else is an expert. That’s OK for SO: they have more than enough people and activity to keep things running a long time. Here, I imagine we are still looking for ways to have meaningful activity that helps people come back and not make it feel too isolated.

I’m sure you’ve all met @discobot ?

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

@discobot, push the small heart button

The discobot has better things to do.
1 Like