Testers needed for FrobTADS Mac installer

In order to spare Mac users from having to install Xcode and compile FrobTADS themselves, I created an installer for it. I know it works on OS X 10.6 (since that’s what I use here), but I’d like to get some feedback on whether it works on older versions.

It is supposed to run on OS X 10.3 (Panther, at least 10.3.9) and upwards, PowerPC and Intel.

Download link:

foss.aegean.gr/~realnc/FrobTADS-1.0.dmg

If anyone has access to an OS X 10.3, 10.4 or 10.5 installation, I would appreciate it if you could install it and report here whether it works or not. Testing it is a matter of opening a terminal, putting a TADS game in your home directory (T2 or T3), and typing the following command: “frob thegame”. For example, to run “worlds.gam”, you type “frob worlds”.

There is no uninstaller, but if you wish to remove FrobTADS afterwards, you simply delete the files “frob”, “t3make” and “tadsc” in /usr/local/bin, and then delete the /usr/local/share/frobtads directory.

Working for me in 10.5.8. Filenames with spaces in them (like “Rogue of the multiverse.t3”) won’t open, but that may be a limitation of the system.

Thanks for confirming for OS X 10.5! Btw, filenames are handled by the shell (which is GNU Bash, in the case of Mac OS X). When they have spaces, they must be quoted (e.g. “name with spaces”) or escaped (name\ with\ spaces). The TAB completion support is your friend; type:

frob "Rogue of

and then press TAB. It will automatically deduct the rest of the filename. If more than one solution is possible, pressing TAB twice will print the possible continuations.