Temporary value assigned an improper value (selfobj) instead of an instance of specified kind?

I ran into an issue that seems like it should have come up before.

"Schrodinger's Cat"

A cat is a kind of animal.

Place is a room.

When play begins:
    if the player is a cat:
	    say "Surprisingly, you are a cat!";
    otherwise:
	    say "You don't seem to be a cat at first glance.";
    let napsack be a cat; [unexpected behavior occurs here]
    say "[The napsack] [are] apparently a cat, though."

This yields:

You don't seem to be a cat at first glance.
You are apparently a cat, though.

The generated I6 contains:

! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
! Rules in rulebook: When play begins (B4_when_play_begins)
! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
! Rule 1/1 ! When play begins:
! No specific request
! When play begins:
[ R_799 
    tmp_0 ! Let/loop value, e.g., 'napsack': thing
    ;
    if (debug_rules) DB_Rule(R_799, 799);
    ! [2: if the player is a cat]
    if (((player ofclass K16_cat)))
    {! [3: say ~Surprisingly, you are a cat!~]
        say__p=1;! [4: ~Surprisingly, you are a cat!~]
        ParaContent(); print "Surprisingly, you are a cat!"; new_line; .L_Say1; .L_SayX1;} else {
        ! [5: say ~You don't seem to be a cat at first glance.~]
        say__p=1;! [6: ~You don't seem to be a cat at first glance.~]
        ParaContent(); print "You don't seem to be a cat at first glance."; new_line; .L_Say2; .L_SayX2;}
    ! [7: let napsack be a cat]

tmp_0 = selfobj; 
    ! [8: say ~[The napsack] [are] apparently a cat, though.~]
    say__p=1;! [9: the napsack]
    ParaContent(); print (The) tmp_0;! [10: ~ ~]
    ParaContent(); print " ";! [11: are]
    ConjugateVerb_0(CV_POS, PNToVP(), story_tense); say__p=1; ! [12: ~ apparently a cat, though.~]
    ParaContent(); print " apparently a cat, though."; new_line; .L_Say3; .L_SayX3;rfalse;
];

The temporary value for napsack should be being set to an arbitrary cat. There is no actual cat defined in the scenario, so presumably it is assigning selfobj as a placeholder. However, the same I6 code (and same unexpected behavior) results even when cats have been defined, as can be seen by adding to the example above:

Morris is a cat in Place. Felix is a cat in Place.

Note that the unexpected behavior is avoided by replacing the line:

let napsack be a cat; [unexpected behavior occurs here]

with:

let napsack be the default value of cat; [works as expected]

With that definition, if no cat is defined, the following problem message is generated:

Problem. I am unable to find a cat to use here, because the world does not contain a cat.
 See the manual: 4.12 > 4.12. Values that vary

Is the compiler’s behavior proper for the first (let napsack be a cat;) version?

Note that the above example is contrived to illustrate the point. In the original context in which I encountered this, a run-time error was being generated:

*** Run-time problem P47 (at paragraph 63 in the source text): Phrase applied to an incompatible kind of value.

with the same root cause of a temporary cat variable being assigned the value of selfobj.

1 Like

Yeah, that seems like a bug.

Global variables don’t have this behavior; a global gets set to the default value if unspecified. (With an error if the world does not contain one.)

I’d expect the line let napsack be a cat to either do that, or behave like ...a random cat. But it doesn’t.