Taking knives

Hi, I’m new to inform7 and the community so I still lack a lot of knowledge. Anyway, into the question.
So I’ve started writing my own story and I’ve currently hit a snag. I want my character to be able to pick up a knife from the kitchen, but it keeps saying, “That’s hardly portable.” It’s really frustrating and I want to find a workaround.
Thanks for any help in advance.

3 Likes

Welcome to Inform and to the forum!

You made the knife scenery. Just take that out and you’ll be fine. In general, reserve scenery for things you don’t want the player interacting with beyond examining.

3 Likes

How have you defined the knife? Things in Inform can be either “portable” or “fixed in place” and something about how you defined the knife is making it “fixed in place”.

By default, everything is “portable”, so there must be something about how you’re defining it that makes Inform think otherwise.

2 Likes

Well, everything is “portable” unless you put something on top of it, making it a supporter, which implies being “fixed in place”. But indeed looks like only scenery objects give the “that’s hardly portable” response.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I did everything, like make it portable and nothing was working.

1 Like